Geni member
  • Private
    Geni member
  • Geni member
  • Private
    Geni member

Related Projects:

Showing 1171-1200 of 1468 posts

You can "un follow" discussions such as this one (top of screen) & also adjust email notification in your account settings.

Dennis you should only be getting those emails for profiles that are (somewhat) close to you.. how distantly related were the new profiles, or the person who added them?

Mike - he is also following a lot of profiles/users, - doesn't you get newsfeed on that too?

Bjørn no, because I'm not collaborating with, or following, Dennis.

So Dennis are these emails for profiles added by someone you're following?

I acturally found some people I'd like to collaborate with but now I can't find the place to request collaboration. I have done it before but as God is my witiness I can't find it. Help me please. Thank you.

I acturally found some people I'd like to collaborate with but now I can't find the place to request collaboration. I have done it before but as God is my witiness I can't find it. Help me please. Thank you.

Judy this probably means you already sent them a request to collaborate. Maybe instead of hiding the option on the actions menu, we could show something like "Collaboration request pending" in gray...? ( Michelle Elena Kempner ? )

No I haven't. I can not find the place to do the request. I don't ask that many people tp collaborate . very leary of it. Don't accept that many either. Like them to be acturally directly related.

So where in this sytem do I go to ask them?

You find request to collaborate in the [Actions▼] menu in the upper right corner of a user profile.

Got this message by email : Scott L. Johnson would like to collaborate with you. But I am not allowed to view the page.

If Geni is stopping, is it?, why join?

You find the full message with links to respond in your request inbox which you find in a menu under the colored number to the left of your profile picture in the top right corner of a Geni page.

Here is the direct link: http://www.geni.com/requests

Mike, that's true too.And sometimes with good reason.

My grand mother would not have been giving birth in 1948. She would have been 61 and a wid. And in those , at least in my family, most of us were not foolin' around after their husband's death.

Earlier off-topic posts deleted and new discussion started:
http://www.geni.com/discussions/114242

I don't understand the significance of those 'posts deleted', why not avoid posting them in the first place?

/Sten

Deleted them because someone didn't want them on there. Said they were not connected with subject. Transfered myself to another discusion.

I will too!

Will adding all these merges force me to upgrade (more $$$) my geni account? I just cant afford it.

Probably opposite, - collaboration gives people who already have upgraded their account an option to help you.

I always merge profiles, my list which was very long (over 200 pages) of merges is now down to 70 pages of merges left. When I merge I also go to the tree and fix conflicts in the tree and merge people who are there. When I finish with all the merges, I will then work on the conflicts of data in each tree, if I can find the correct information.

Collaboration helps with having less conflicts in the tree. At this time I have 41 conflicts in the tree due to managers who don't merge or people whom don't collaborate with me.

I am game @Anilkumar Nair.P

If you had read the beginning of this thread you would see that the intent was for people to 'sign up' to be in the pool. If you didn't want to collaborate, you wouldn't post. Discussions about why or why not to collaborate were supposed to be in different discussions. That's why those of us who have been here since the discussion began aren't used to reading posts here - we just assume you're here because you agree with the Big Tree concept and want to contribute to it.

Most of us will have no idea at all whether we're related to you or not - that's why we want to be in the Big Tree. If we're in it, we can see through Geni's relationship program if we are or are not related. Of course, we're all related somehow and that's what Geni is trying to say with building the Big Tree.

Private trees would be better built on another Web site like MyHeritage. Geni was built for collaboration. Think about this: your great-aunt might be 'your' great-aunt but she has other relatives who think of her as 'their' mother, sister, first cousin four times removed, etc. She 'belongs' to them, too. If you go just two or three generations before you, 'your' relatives stop being only yours. That's what Geni is all about.

However I have private information here. I am sick and tried of reading useless information in this Collaboration Pool. The reason I join this website was for my own private tree, not to share with the whole world.., How do i get out of this collaboration pool. I want out now! I like the Geni Website however I can;t even download anymore my family tree to my own private program. This site is getting worse and worse all the time and we have to read everyones comment or about their own trees I could care less.

Dennis Lawrence Blake I suggest you read Marsha's posting above then delete any posts you have made to this discussion. Then go to your list of collaborators and cancel the collaborations.Since you only have 18 it won't be difficult. Also it looks like Geni has plans to go back to the one tree concept so you should download a GEDCOM from Geni and use it with a private program

I kind of think the 'Collaboration Pool' is a good idea. For instance, my Swedish family comes from a small village in the Ukraine, where all 60 families that were forced to move there by the Russians in 1789 are inter-related many times over.

Now we are trying to find these distant cousins, and you never know who you are going to find. You go back even 50-200 years, and you see distant cousins (that may have not known that they were related) marrying that you may have discovered through collaboration.

If you don't collaborate with someone, how are you supposed to locate some of these 'lost' branches you are trying to finish on your tree. Or maybe Ancestry needs to start up a Message board system of its own for Geni Users, like it has for itself?

My Heritage is pretty good for single private tree fans. I dare mention this now since I understand that MH and Geni are merging at coprorate level? /Sten

PS/ I have been working both places entertaining some rather large common trees.

Looked briefly at MyHeritage a goodly while ago, felt Geni had by far the better Tree View format - if Geni programmers help MyHeritage with that aspect, perhaps I will then try it again.

Showing 1171-1200 of 1468 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion