• Private
    Geni member

Related Projects:

Showing 1021-1050 of 1468 posts

Great idea!

@Robert Holmberg

@Connie Prater Thomilson

Private User

I'm listed here wayyyyyy back in the beginning of the thread, but since I can only contribute now by editing profiles, I'd like to maximize the opportunities to do so by adding collaborators - so if you aren't already collaborating with me, please ask - I just sent out invites to anyone who posted their names here in the last year, so you may just have to check your inbox.

We already collaborate Chuck so I believe that gives you access to thousands of profiles I am a co manager of. More collaborators welcome. My areas of focus are colonial America, Scotland and England.

I'm not sure if my post belongs here But: i had my family tree down to 475 ad and lost the gedcom file due to a computer crash and am trying to rebuild it ugh

Backup? ;-)
You can download your GEDCOM of what you have on Geni as a stater, but as you probably will notice from some other discussions it might be some problems on getting it imported in other programs, but I assume these will be fixed soon.

You request a GEDCOM here - since you are a basic used you can probably only ask to download a GEDCOM with yourself as the base profile:
http://www.geni.com/gedcom

Bart and Bjørn, I have successfully downloaded a full forest Gedcom file with 100k+ profiles here and uploaded it without any problems on MyHeritage.com. It does require, however, having Pro level hereand a similar status memberhsip there as well. As a matter of fact and opposed to what is mostly stated, most if not all of the pictures made the trip safely.

I may add, that having successfully uploaded your forest to MyHeritage, the work in no way stops there, because their system of 'Intelligent Matches' or whatever they call it requires a LOT of initial work and not very much less of same to stay current. So better be careful here... I learned i the hard way.

Hatte Rubenstein Blejer I have sent several of you collaboration requests. Given the recent changes, I changed my mind and will collaborate more broadly, to assist others.

I am not using Heritage because as my tree grew I had to pay more to use it.

@Marianne Dagher

@ Pam Karp
Count me in!

Private User

Not interested at the moment in colaboration. Only been back a about a week or so. Have to think about it. It caused too much of a mess last time. Don't like not being able to fill in the blanks in my tree myself. I know some will say why bother if someone already has done it but you see I had done it before and it's the principal of the whole thing! I really want to do it myself with what info I have and I have volumes! Then I would be interested in sharing what I have, after I manage to get it all in, with others, who then might have more than I do. And I am sure there is a world of info out there that I don't have.I should go count up just how many profiles I have found on my own or with the help of real relatives. not Geni relatives. By real ,I mean flesh and blood, DNA relatives. Not paper distant relatives. When I was on it before it got really confussing ,sometimes, with all the added profiles , that were distantly connected , very distantly connected, that sometimes it was hard to sort out where my immideate tree ended and others were entwinded ( having trouble with internet connection and spell check has temp. disappeared. Sorry for any spelling errors).

Pam sent me a request to collaborate but the changes in Geni make collaboration extremely difficult if not impossible. Collaboration was what gave geni its advantage. And now they bite the hand that feeds. More about my experience on my blog at http://unacknowledged.orotpublishers.com/ . You can join the dissatisfied or former users of geni at http://www.facebook.com/groups/297646710279780/ .

Agree with you George. Collaboration was much easier earlier!

Ellen

The changes have made me loose interest in Geni, and I seriously consider to leave it all together.

I left. Came back but am really bored. Not enjoyable any more. Even most the discussions are the pits.

Private User

Katherine what does that me. ( Pitts) I'm in?

what exactly are you talking about Judy?? my name is Katharine PITTS King (PITTS being my maiden name) and I'm in on collaborating with people. I was not responding to your post in any way and don't really enjoy last name jokes. That is all. ;)

It looks to me like Judy wasn't paying attention to what discussion she was in. This is for those who want to collaborate.

I was talking about a comment I made earlier . I wasn't sure if you were refering to that or a profile. The person ahead of my comment by the name of Michael Lancaster remarked he was considering leaving. I stated I had left before and came back but was really bored and it was the pits. So You are not paying attention to the postings since Eldon you couldn't tell I had previously made this comment.
Not realizing Katherine King was a profile , thinking that she was the respondent or poster , stated Pitts after her name I"m in .Well (Pitts) I'm in made no sence since it appear right after what I said. She still looks like a poster.
Katherine it wasn't a last name joke. In fact I grew up with people that had that last name. I would never make fun of someones name first, middle or last.

Judy, I repeat, this discussion should only have names and only those who wish to collaborate.

And I repeat I was reponcing to Mr. Lancaster who was commenting on the changes. In fact I was , partly agreeing with him, agreeing with him .

Good night sleep tight.

Showing 1021-1050 of 1468 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion