Geni member
  • Private
    Geni member
  • Geni member
  • Private
    Geni member

Related Projects:

Showing 991-1020 of 1468 posts

OMG! Do you sign your death sentence unless you understand what there is written? No offence!

Thought I agreed to be in before but don't find my name on list. Merges have been my greatest grumble as 80 % of those I could improve I can't get in to/
George

Hi Alexander Bishop asked me to join on this pool, which I am willing. My biggest problem so far with Geni is , has been relatives taking control of their profiles on my family tree and then forgeting there passwords, losing interest or the utimate death and I have no control updating their profiles on the tree I started and to date the only one who paid for it

Dennis Blake dlblake@kwic.com

dennis you can mail geni to unclaim deceased relatives profiles

@Lars Erik Lørdahl

What is happening to this discussion? It seems no one more is joining the pool. I want to bring this back up to the top of the pack.

Shmuel-Aharon Kam (Kahn / שמואל-אהרן קם (קאן@

Can you do one of those long lists of who is in this pool? Maybe we can drum up some more interest if people check the list and see if there is someone that they may have missed. Thank you

I'm wondering how relevant the pool is anymore with the new Pro features. In the past, collaboration was needed to merge profiles and edit public profiles. Now, you just need to be a Pro member to merge and edit public profiles and collaboration is somewhat irrelevant. So I think the need for the collaboration pool has probably lived it's life. Though, I'll still send a request as I feel better about merging profiles with collaborators. :)

Isn't it so, that all collaborators, also non pro users, can edit all profiles of their collaborators ? It should be ! Else it can be on request via add manager !

Fred, it is true - but they have crippled search so much for free users, that finding profiles that we aren't the actual managers for, but that we can edit is a very involved process - you have to search here to see if you have a collaborator as a manager of the profile - but you can't see the profile even it's "Public" because you just get an ad to go Pro. So then you have to search again via Google because when you click through from Google, you can actually get to the profile.

So yeah, the collaboration pool it's pretty worthless at this point for both Pro's who don't need it and us "freeloaders" who can't make use of it.

We were told over a week ago they were working on a basic plus membership, until then I am focusing on filling in documentation gaps on my existing tree - and I have managed to find some profiles to add where I am still allowed to (but also a many more that I can't add without a Pro account - and that I can't find a close enough connection to bother begging a pro user to do it for me).

Private User as a PRO user, I don't consider it begging for someone to ask me for help and there is a discussion at http://www.geni.com/discussions/99133 just for that purpose

As a non-Pro user it is much better to use Google to search and access public Geni profiles. Just prefix your search keyword with site:geni.com

The curators have as usual ongoing discussions with Geni staff on cases like this (why have Google better access than registered Geni users) and other suggestions on how to make Geni a better site.

Private User,
what has probably outlives it's usefulness is THIS discussion. If people join the Collaboration Pool PROJECT instead ( http://www.geni.com/projects/Collaboration-Pool ), then by looking at the list of project members you can automatically see who you collaborate with and who not, because of the green collaboration sign next to their name. that way it is also much easier to remove yourself from the list: just leave the project.

Shmuel-Aharon Kam (Kahn / שמואל-אהרן קם (קאן@Shmuel
I agree with you, I have been in the Collaboration Project, sending requests to all the people that don't have the green sign next to them. Thank you!

Private User
out of Collaboration Pool"

@ Samuel Cyril Louis Gaston AUSTIN - LE MAUX

ok I am lost, but that ok i stay lost, so any one out there have info on humphris from marfa texas area,I wouls likw some good info

@ david george

@david george

Jane Raboin Raboin @rmjpre@charter.net

why do you want permission to fix. Are they connected to your tree? I find it concerning that when you collaborate your are giving someone the right to change your information? And they might have no conncection to your family tree. Also i have encountered where family members aren't speaking to one another and try to delete the said relative from the family tree.

Dennis

Dennis, the reason to "collaborate" is it gives permission to Basic users to correct errors or add new information to a PUBLIC profile you manage. Pro users can already do this with or without your permission, so if you don't want others on GENI to have this capability, you should make the profile PRIVATE.

I'm not sure this will make a difference for those that are Basic Users, but surely will still help those that are Pro.
Carole (Erickson) Pomeroy,Vol. Curator@Carole

Carole (Erickson) Pomeroy,Vol. Curator

Really it helps the non pros more because they have a pro to help them, but there is another discussion for that

http://www.geni.com/discussions/99133

OK William Chandler Lanier, Jr.@William C. Lanier, Jr.

@Jane Raboin

Why are people putting your actual email addresses in the messages? You are opening yourself up to tons of Spam, and perhaps GENI-specific fishing attacks where someone pretends to be a relative of yours and contacts your home email.

Chuck Bury
NerdForce.com
Security Consultant

Showing 991-1020 of 1468 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion