• Private
    Geni member
  • Geni member
  • Private
    Geni member

Related Projects:

Showing 871-900 of 1468 posts

@benthe rask
I do not understand, where I have to "add myself" to be a member again.

@bente rask
Man har oprettet en projektgruppe for "Collaboration pool" og vil gerne have at vi tilmelder os der. Jeg har ikke rigtigt fundet ud af hvordan det virker, men jeg har dog haft held med at tilmelde mig. Her er linket." http://www.geni.com/projects/Collaboration-Pool "

Venlig hilsen

Michael

Tak, Michael, men jeg HAR været på den side - og kan IKKE finde, hvor jeg skal tilmelde.
Trods ihærdige forsøg med at forstå, så forstår jeg fortsat heller ikke, hvad jeg skal gøre med @ , når jeg skriver her. Skal jeg skrive @ , og så derefter mit navn eller @ og så derefter dit (hvis det er dig, jeg vil svare?)
Benthe Rask

Benthe, du finne en knapp opp til høyre som sier "option" klikk på denne så får du opp en meny. nederst i denne menyen står det "Bli med i prosjektet" eller Join Project

Dvs på den siden som Michael har postet

Her kan du bare skrive @ + navnet ditt

Glenn, Mange mange tak! Så er jeg på plads der.
Kan du også fortælle, hvad forskellen er på at være med i project og at være i gruppen "follow"?

Hvis du bruker "follow" så får du oppdateringer på geni start siden din om prosjektet, som kan være masete etter min smak.
Er man med i prosjektet så kommer man i listen over medlemmer av Collaborator Pool

Tak, Glenn, du er en "guttermand", som man siger i Danmark!

The problem with using a project, is that ANYONE can add a user to a project. So there is no guarantee that they actually wanted to join...

I agree with Shmuel. Two profiles in particular have been added to the project in the last 24 hours as collaborators:

Hanne Aarup - last online June 12, 2010

Private User - last online December 14, 2010

So I don't know how either of those requested to be added to the project.

According to the log, they were both added to the project by http://www.geni.com/people/%C3%98ystein-Kanstad/6000000000682138099 at 3.19am.

It would be interesting to know the circumstances by which Øystein Kanstad came to add them to the project.

In the general case, any ideas how we get around the problem that Shmuel highlighted?

Could this be a case where Øystein Kanstad thought that by entering them collaboration for merges would be automatic?

Shmuej-Aharon, I agree with you, no one should be able to add anyone other than them self to a project.

Eldon: I do not know what Øystein Kanstad had in mind. But as you and I both know, being added to the project achieves nothing in itself. It's the resultant collaboration requests and acceptances of those requests that really matter.

Unless things have changed recently, you can't easily add yourself as collaborator to a project. Someone else who is already a collaborator has to approve you first.

So it's possible I guess that Unknown person X added these two profiles. Then Øystein Kanstad simply approved the request to be helpful. I don't know. Maybe Geni logs would help.

What would appear to be obvious is that people who were not online for months did not add themselves.

This surely highlights that the approval process for joining projects needs a rethink.

Hmm....

This is good point - I didn't noticed this effect

I agree that Discussion form is more "trustworthy" but membership traking is extremly hard with discussion

Does anyone know - will be deleted messages removed sometime wrom discussions? This will be one way to DENY any non-entry discussion in this discussion (hard - several time started again to move discussion to other forum) - this helps to track membership

Henn

I'm also wondering two things:

1. Why hasn't someone told us off for having a discussion about the collaboration pool in this discussion rather than in the discussion that was set up to discuss the pool?

2. In Related Projects to the left, below Profiles Mentioned, why isn't the Collaboration Pool project listed?? It's an obvious related project. And how do you get it listed??

1) There is no problem with adding people to projects. This is a good way to point out a project to someone that might be interested in it. People added this way are merely FOLLOWING the project. So if one is not interested in it, it is rather TRIVIAL to "leave", just un-follow the project. It's like tagging someone in a photo on Facebook, to bring it to their attention.

So I guess we could get around this limitation, by IGNORING the list of people *Following* the project, and insist that all people interested ask to join.

2) David, adding someone to the project could be a GREAT way to thoroughly ANNOY them. You wake up in the morning, and you find that you have 500 unasked for Collaboration requests...

3) We COULD put a note in this discussion asking people to move over to a new PROJECT specific discussion. That will probably take repeated notes to stop all additions here, especially as commenting brings this back to the top of the list of public discussions. But as soon as people stop, this will disappear into the history of 1000+ pages of older discussions.

4) The "Related Projects" are added automatically when someone tags, in the discussion, a profile that belongs to the project. As the Collaboration Pool Project does not have ANY profiles, it won't get added.

Shmuel

1) Not true. People added in this way are not merely following. They are full blown collaborators. Witness for example the number of profiles added involuntarily to the Fake Profiles project as collaborators.

Ignoring people following does not help. I could add any profile I like right now as full blown collaboration pool member. Not that I would, you understand.

2) AGREED. Who would you like to annoy? No that wasn't meant as a serious suggestion ...

3) Not an issue from my point of view. There were purists however who used to take exception at every miscreant here ...

4) Actually when I last looked the collaboration pool project did have 2 profiles - for reasons I did not understand. But they have since been removed. Yes Shmuel i understand all this. I just thought it was a bit ironic that the most relevant project to this discussion is not related to it!

Let me ask this... There are three groups in a project. Collaborators, Followers, and Profiles. As I understand it, being a collaborator of a project allows you to edit all the profiles in that project.. Correct?

If this is the case, one solution would be to collectively add all the public profiles (through a script) of collaboration members to the project as profiles. Then all you have to do is become a collaborator to the project and you have edit access to every profile in the project.

Since becoming a collaborator on a project requires authorization from the project manager, the manager (a curator) could confirm the user is making the request and then proceed to run the script, which adds that users profiles to the project.

Jeff,
1) The advantage of the pool is that it helps you complete merges on profiles managed by people who are NOT in the pool ==> merges on the Collaborators OF the Pool-Members (because when you request the merge your collaborator will be able to complete it, being a collaborator of BOTH sides of the merge). So you'll only have a very small subset of the relevant profiles.

2) ANY person who is a Project Collaborator, can accept any request to join the project.

Jeff: To add to what Shmuel's point 2: I don't think projects have a project manager any more. Once a project has more than one collaborator, they all have equal status.

I also don't think it at all practical to add millions of profiles to a project, let alone maintaining such a project.

To some extent, EVERY project is a mini-collaboration pool already in the way that Jeff envisages it. It works on a profile-by-profile basis as Jeff describes it.

Curators have also to some extent taken the role of completing such merges in the absence of one-to-one collaboration. In particular, the scripts that automate such merges where the merge is obviously good.

We still don't have a solution to the existing collaboration pool project problem: when I see a new collaborator to that project, how do I know that person consented?

ok! Janne Rygg
Janne

Private User

Torbjörn Jakobsen Fredenfeldt, each person has to join themselves. We can not accept the others into the pool until they themselves request to be in it.

Here's my entry...

Joseph William Thomas

I agree. The Collaboration Pool should help make corrections a little easier.

@Ethel Johanna Myers

Private User

@Clay Heberden Scanlan

Showing 871-900 of 1468 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion