• Geni member
  • Private
    Geni member

Related Projects:

Showing 781-810 of 1468 posts

Participation in this discussion doesn’t means that we're part of the pool
Anyway we should continue discussing this privately

@Brendan Swemmer

Thats odd. I pressed 'Post Reply' once and my post appeared twice. Another bug, I suppose :(

Tree view and view nearby merge issues are no longer accessible to collaborators. The only way to grant someone an access to your private tree is to add them to your family group.

I wonder if Enrique is referring to your Family Group. 4th cousins and closer. Collaboration on historic profiles is one thing, but giving access to my children's profiles is a whole other level of trust.

Wijtze William ..You are not suppose to see our Trees unless you are in our Family Group.

Collaboration allows you to edit and merge the public profiles of your collaborators. It does not give you the permission to view or edit their private profiles. If you want to allow someone to view and edit the private profiles you've entered into your tree, then you would have to invite them into your Family Group.

Wijtze William Sieswerda - You can still see Collaborators tree if you want. Not directly, but via the public profiles in it. Private profiles will remain still private (without first names, personal data etc.).

I accept you for collaboration but I don't see your tree !

myriam

Collaboration allows you to change public profiles. It does not change what you can see.

Before geni changed the system, if you collaborated eith aperson you could see his family. This was changed. now you can only see the person that you are collaborating with unless your 4th cousins or closer then of course you can see all. To see the family, you would have to send a family request.

It is a pity that this database isn't a wiki. In a wiki everybody can contribute to everybody and every contribution can be returned to the old version and all old version can everytime be seen, Abuse can be punished by blocking, (important and/or much abused and/or historicalprofiles can be protected to selected contributors, pro's, curators, administrators. It works a lot easier and so it can be prevented that Charlemagne, Charles the great don't get his wrong merge for the thousendst time !

It would help if people put more sources in so things can be double checked. Sometimes it is hard to tell if the dates aren't exactly known who should be merged. Especially in families where children are named the same name in multiple generations. Master profiles are nice if they are totally accurate or as accurate as you can get. Maybe more could be made.

I think the owners of this site are more interested in quantity than in quality. For that reason it is poular familysite, but as genealogical site not reliable !
I use this site just for hints and pointers..........

Is anybody really good at early American history. I can track my grandmother's famly back into Virginia and Maryland through the Embree side,. There are a lot of merge issues out there and I am not an expert on this era of American history. I have some of my aunt's research for the DAR.

Unknown Profile@sharon
The only real use to give a non-family member family status is if you keed help with your family tree in an area that he can't see. Once in the family he can change/merge family for you to help you fix it. Make sure you can trust this person.

Fred Bergman

We should spin this off into a new discussion please but in fact the "Wikification of Geni" is well underway. The first step was "Projects." The second step is "revision history" for text entry in the "about me" tab. More to come -- it's a top Geni development priority.

But off topic for this discussion. :)

Geni "Mayflower" Curator

Private User

Hi Shari,

Can you start a new discussion referencing any profiles where you are "stuck" ?

Unknown Profile

If all profiles are set to "public" all of us should be able to see every tree.

The "permissions" only applies to "private" profiles. That is a default value based on:

self --> same generation -> 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th cousins
self -> all descendants
self -> ancestors -> 1st, 2nd, 3rd, grandparents

"Private" profiles can be shared with others who are members of your "family group" (that is, share a common ancestor to the 3rd or 4th degree).

I have found it entirely irrelevant except for my own first cousins.

Also to clarify:

"viewing" is one issue, "editing" is another.

You may only edit "public" profiles where you have "collaboration" rights with one of the profile managers, or are listed as a "profile manager."

Hence, the "collaboration pool." :)

A belated thanks, Angus, on cancelling unaccepted requests and rewording them. Good idea. Happy New Year!

Sally, done

Thank you....

Someone has Samuel Bitfield all tied up... Can some one make these merges happen... Please see
http://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000002952657819?highlight...

Sally, Its OK now, just needed to select parenys

Just a suggestion people...please use the following discussion for help
http://www.geni.com/discussions/80793

This discussion is for people who wish to be added to the Collaboration Pool.

Thanks for the answers - they confirm what I thought:
- Collaborating with someone doesn't allow you to view or edit their close family profiles or their private profiles.
- Family tree invitations allow you to see and edit closer family profiles that are private. (It's also useful as a quick list of people to send messages to family about your common close family tree.)

Henn, my name is also missing from your list. Private User

photo owned by Tamara Tucker Swingle

I still don't see my name on the list. I've tried about 3 times now.
Private User

Showing 781-810 of 1468 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion