Geni member
  • Geni member
  • Private
    Geni member

Related Projects:

Showing 361-390 of 1468 posts

@Brenda Harcovitz (Morse)

I'll help @R. Alan Shepard

Ok, I have added 2 relatives to the pool! I hope other relatives of mine jump in

I would rather not be in this pool only because I don't understand what it does and it confuses me

OK by me.
@Erica Isabel HOWTON

This sounds promising. Perhaps we can eliminate some "impossible" data -- such as an ancestor b. 1725 but d 1839.
>
"If something is printed-on-the-page, it must be correct!" Huh?
>
@HenryDavid Payne

@Barbara The purpose of the pool is only to find as many cooperating Managers as possible in order to build "the big tree" - nothing else.

As long as you respond on all the requests you get - no problem on not beeing in!!

@Madeline Thompson

@HenryDavidPayne

I'm with you David. I don't just fix merges,;. I try to see if there are any other problems I could resolve, too. It usually only takes a couple of extra minutes. Quite worth it, I think!

BackAtCha, Marsha.
>
I've just encountered a rational birthdate for Sarah Catherine Fowler:
http://www.theharmons.us/harmon_t/b676.htm
"Sarah Catherine FOWLER2176 was born in 1705 in , Saint Marys, Maryland, USA.2176 She died in 1789 in , Washington, Kentucky.2176"
>
"2176" identifies a source for these dates:
Ancestry.com, OneWorldTree (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc.).
>
I just tried to find "2176" at OneWorldTree on Ancestry.com -- no luck.

David; for your consideration; in those days the USA wasn't exist

I agree. And for your consideration, I think picky questioning such as "the USA wasn't exist" should be made using proper grammar.

@David Payne,
I agree that Ofir's comment is picky, but he is correct and I make that correction in most of the profiles in which I find it.
However, your response was unfair to Ofir who was trying to make a positive contribution to the dialog. Not all of us have your flair for the English language.
That being said, I am pleased that both of you are my collaborators and that you are both trying to make a positive impact on Geni.
Scott

Easy David easy, if you look at the profiles of many of the Collaborators you will notice many of them live in Non-English speaking countries, so you will notice that when they contribute to our discussions, which is most welcome, it may not be in perfect English Grammar,

Ofir"s comment: "David; for your consideration; in those days the USA wasn't exist."
>
Why did he bother to submit the comment? I resist the urge to prolong this
discussion.

Is it possible he was saying that there were no 'United States of America' in 1705, just wondering....

Not knowing that there was a Province of Maryland started by George Calvert in 1629.

Far be it from me to speculate on what motivated Ofir to submit his comment. He could have commented instead that the post to which he was responding and the whole discussion on Sarah Fowler did not belong in this thread at all. Nor does the further discussion now, including this post!

But it is clear that the substance of Ofir's comment was that the United States of America did not yet exist in 1705.

Two points we can all gain from this.

1. Ofir's comment re USA also applies elsewhere in the world. There are many places in the world that used not to be in the countries that they are now. The best data on Geni would be that which reflected countries as they existed at the time of the event that is being recorded.

2. We should not comment adversely on Geni or in any other public forum on other people's grammar. We should instead be in awe at the grasp of English of those in particular for whom English is not a first language, and their ability to make themselves fully understand. Bear in mind that so often we would completely fail to make ourselves understood in the native language of others.

@David Prins,
So very well said. You are absolutely correct on all issues.
Scott

David Prins, two words for you: Thank you! Well said. Let's all get refocussed here and remember the purpose of Geni is to build our families together. "Can't we all just get along?"
One Great Flaw of the U.S. educational system is that our children are not reared to be multilingual. I'm always amazed and impressed to speak with people for whom English is not their native language, and yet they manage to communicate just fine. Amazed and impressed!

@Carl Wolfhagen

Dear freinds
Please don't use this discussion for discussions like that - it makes it more difficult to find the newcommers in the pool.
This discussion was made for that reason: http://www.geni.com/discussions/6000000008814795468?msg=60000000089...

@Cathey Marie Clewien (Orvis) Collaboration Pool member request

@Victor Varis (Thomassen-Ciurlionis-Bassi)

Victor Varis (Bassi Ciurlionis Thomassen)

@Scott Johnson

@Scott Johnson

Private User

Private
@Shawna Therese Marshall

Folks there is NO need to delete your comments just because your name wasn't properly linked to. It's the INTENT that counts, and we can reach your profile via the link to the left of your comment.

Samuel שמואל, I think people may be trying to keep to the intent of rule 5 of the original post, which said:

5.) a post in this thread *without* the "@yourname"... is *NOT* an entrant in this pool

Of course as you say, if you enter "@yourname", you have probably complied with rule 5 anyway, even if it doesn't link properly.

Private User

Showing 361-390 of 1468 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion