Margaret Tipton/Downing (Hughlett) - Confusion Regarding William Downing and son Capt. William Downing and their Wives

Started by Debbie Gambrell on today
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 2 posts
Today at 1:58 AM

Geni previously had William Downing I previously listed as Capt. William Downing. I've corrected that and will explain why.

William Downing I

shows a birth date of abt. 1600

Capt. William Downing, II

shows a birth date of abt. 1630

Since the article references the marriage date of William Downing to Margaret whose maiden name is shown as unknown being 1679, it would have to be the son who was Capt. William Downing, not the father. This also means it was the son's wife Margaret who later married Edward Typton. Edward Typton was not married as a second husband to whoever Capt. William Downing's unnamed mother was.

I'm uncertain how William married Margaret in 1679 and he died in 1683 leaving her with 4 named children and a 5th refences as 'probably a daughter' from that marriage and refences a son Thomas 'by a second marriage'. Not sure how he and Margaret had 5 children in 4 years and since she is defnitely listed as his widow, he couldn't have had a marriage afterward. Either I'm not understanding that or they have some of that info wrong. It would make more sense if he had Thomas by a previous marriage. If he was born in 1630 and married Margaret in 1679, he was 49 when they married and would likely have been married before. But that's not what the article says, so doesn't make sense.

Documentation for the wives of father William and son Capt. William are needed. Based on the article from William and Mary Quarterly, it would seem the family lines connected to the wives here on Geni is speculation, with nothing known except Capt. William Downing's wife was definitely named Margaret and she did later marry Edward Typton.

Thanks in advance for any additional info on these connections.

Today at 2:09 AM

I only sorted the info on the father and son. I didn't make any changes to the wives, BUT I don't believe the elder William Downing's wife was Margaret Hughlett and that those connections are speculative. Also, it wasn't his wife who later married Edward Typton.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the article I attached doesn't identify the son Capt. William Downing's wife's maiden name. There's no documentation in his wife's profile to validate that her maiden name was Shrock.

Margaret Downing

All I know about her is what that she's the one who married as a second husband Edward Typton, based on the William and Mary Quarlery article attached under the Media tab.

Showing all 2 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion