Sigurd "Ring" Randversson, Danish king {mythological} - Misleading Genealogy?

Started by Debbie Gambrell on today
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 4 posts
Today at 3:34 PM

Supposedlly Sigurd is my direct ancestor. But if he wasn't a real person, why is all the lineage beyond him attached, which shows more direct ancestors who can't be my ancestors if he never existed?

I was tracing a line to Arngrim the Berserker and when I got to the point of this profile for Sigurd, if he's not valid as an ancestor, then none of the lieage from him to Arngrim is valid for me either, so why connect it as factual genealogy?

Thanks in advance for any clarificaiton on this.

Today at 3:48 PM

Because they are not sure if he was a myth. They used to think all old European genealogy were myths, but they have been finding out many of those myths are actually more like fishing stories based on facts but embellished and exaggerated over the years for prestige and entertainment.

Today at 3:54 PM

Well, that's cool to know. I know several profiles I've seen tagged as mythological or lengendary and have been disconnected are folks many believe to be real people but the curators don't tend to reverse those. I always have considered that most, not all certainly, myths and legends have some basis in reality. I guess I'll go ahead and add the connections to my tree 'just in case' they're my actual ancestors. Thanks for some encouragement that they 'may' be valid connections.

Today at 4:57 PM

I have to smile ... interesting how a mythological person can be my 34th Great Grandfather. I have Visigoth ancestors and many others who are also mythological and all linked into my Swedish lineage.

The fishing story - well these are still profiles that still hang around in the obscure waters of ancient genealogy, whether fact or fiction they still remain ancestors.

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion