Participants:

• Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Geni Pro

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 8 posts

The birth year for Nibelung IV circa 810, which makes the start of "estimated between" at year 815 implausible.

Robert Shepard has also noted a problem with this birth year estimates on this profile.

Can anyone contribute an actual source that we can use to correct the problem? Thanks so much.

Nibelung IV, comte du Vexin Is sourced from Medlands

Cawley’s Medlands

http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/FRANKISH%20NOBILITY.htm#_ftn559

a) [NIBELUNG [IV] ([810/20]-after 879).

Thank you so much, Erica Howton!

It looks like WikiTree users have cast doubt on him being the father of N.N. du Vexin but maybe that needs a separate thread.

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Vexin-43

Geni's auto-estimator is not well-geared to provide believable date-ranges.

If one accepts Medland's birth estimate for Nibelung IV being between c.1810–c.1815, the Theodoric's birth showing "between 1810 and 1835" was implausible.

I adjusted Theodoric's circa birth year to show the following: between c.1830–c.1835.

The date estimator goes more FUBAR the less dates it has to work with. And conversely, the less dates we have to work with, the more we want to “let the system guess” rather tan estimate badly ourselves. The date estimator has been spot on when surrounded by complete dates. So - choose your medieval poison. :)

True, Erica Howton – especially for ancient persons with sketchy records.

That said, I think there are only three options regarding this topic—none most ideal above the other, in my view, despite my changing the birth-range for Theodoric I:—

Here are the poisons from which one can pick:

A. Ignore Medland's estimate for Nibelung IV and remove from the Nibelung IV person-profile.

B. Keep Medland's birth estimate for Nibelung IV, and return to Geni-automated 1810-1835 birth range for Theodoric I. — If selected, some acknowledgement about the oddity of births—father-to-son—to Overview for Theoderic I would a right thing to do..

C. Maintain Medland's birth estimate for Nibelung IV's profile. Keep the estimated birth range I entered for Theodoric I.

Repost to correct typo.

So far I’m fine with C.

Nibelung [IV]'s estimated birth date range as shown above is consistent with his belonging to the same generation as Ekkehard and his brothers, maybe their first cousin. Nibelung subscribed a charter of comte Adelramm, maybe his son-in-law, dated 879[361]

You have a boundary at the bottom (living in 876) for Theodoric l, if I’m reading correctly:

"Heccardus comes" names "…Therico filio Nivelongo…Ademare fratre suo…" among the beneficiaries under his testamentary disposition dated to [Jan 876]

[361]. Levillain, L. 'Les Nibelungen historiques et leurs alliances de famille', Annales du Midi 49 (1937), pp. 337-408, 348-9, cited in Settipani (1993), p. 352.
[362]. Saint-Benoît-sur-Loire XXV, p. 59.

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion