Yisrael Yosef Lau - Profile photo - 2 Rabbi Israel Josephs

Started by Private User on Sunday, August 8, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 8 posts
Private User
8/8/2021 at 2:45 AM

The profile photo currently associated to Yisrael Yosef Lau is in fact showing a different Rabbi Israel Joseph. The Rabbi sitting on the left is Rabbi Israel Joseph Lew and not Yisrael Yosef Lau. (Both were involved with the Agudah).

Jeffrey Michael Maynard what do you think?

Yehuda Rubin should I fix it?

8/8/2021 at 6:45 PM

First of all, the photo is not of R' Yisrael Yosef Lau and should be removed. It is the photo of the Agudas delegation to the United States led by R' Meir Dan Plotsky.
Secondly, the identification of the Rabbis in this photo which was published in the Five Towns Jewish Times are misleading. Rabbo Lew is on the left of R Plotsky, but on the right of the photograph. He was 37 years old at the time, and is the young rabbi. On the way back they stopped off in London, and Rabbi Lew was offered the position of Rav of the Lincoln Street, Bow, which later became the Mile End and Bow Synagogue, which he accepted.
You can read more about him here: https://jewishmiscellanies.com/2021/07/25/yalkut-yosef-by-rabbi-isr...

Private User
8/8/2021 at 11:53 PM

Thanks so much!
Fixed.
Yes I read your blog, that's why I tagged you in here.

Private User
8/9/2021 at 12:08 AM

The one sitting on the left doesn't look like Asher Lemel Leopold Spitzer though...? (The other identifications seem correct).

Private User
8/9/2021 at 2:12 AM
Private User
8/9/2021 at 2:16 AM

I think the picture has been assigned to the wrong Asher Lemel Spitzer too. I think the correct one is Rabbi Asher Lemel Spitzer, Rabbi of Kirchdorf, Slovakia not Asher Lemel Leopold Spitzer Any thoughts?

Private User
8/9/2021 at 2:54 PM

I've fixed that too.

8/9/2021 at 9:20 PM

I can't answer the Asher Lemel Spitzer question. I mainly collect anglo-judaica. I will be in London for a week August 23 to August 30, staying at my flat in Hendon. I am hoping that my usual book dealer friends are still in business. - Jeff

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion