Started by Private on Saturday, June 19, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 23 posts
Private
6/19/2021 at 3:47 AM

This is definitely not correct. I am a direct descendant of John Howland and Elizabeth Tilley. The connection is on my mother's side of the family, has been since the beginning.

6/19/2021 at 5:28 AM

@john howland
What is not correct?

Private User
6/19/2021 at 6:13 AM

Can you share the line so wr can see where there may be a possible error? Thank you.

6/19/2021 at 7:14 AM

Private
Howard, which profile are you talking about and what exactly is not correct.

I see from the discussion title that it has something to do with John Howland the Mayflower Passenger. Is the message "No blood relationship" the message you got when you looked at "How am I connected"??

Were you connected in GENI before, but now not (a profile link has been undone).. or are you new to GENI and you started searching for relatives (maybe you tree isn't filled in to John Howland yet)... or what?

More details are needed to we can see what happened or has to happen. Who is the child of John Howland your line goes thru? and who was their spouse?

6/19/2021 at 8:41 AM

Obviously, Private is upset about ‘something,’ and hasn’t defined/described ‘what’ that ‘something’ is. I, too, am descended from John Howland ‘maternally.’ Also, I am connected to Private ‘maternally,’ but not via the John Howland, "Mayflower" Passenger connection.

John Howland, "Mayflower" Passenger is my 12th great grandfather.
Me  → Geneva Allene Welborn (Smith) my mother
→ Henry Loyd Smith (Jackson), R1b1a2a1a1b her father
→ Edith Lucinda Smith (Lee) his mother → William "Will" M Lee her father
→ Martha Lee (Collier) his mother → Lucinda Collier (France) her mother
→ Elizabeth France Haskell her mother → Captain Job Haskell her father
→ Abiah Haskell (Nelson) his mother → John Nelson her father
→ Hope Nelson (Huckins) his mother → Hope Cobb (Chipman) her mother
→ Hope Chipman (Howland) her mother
→ John Howland, "Mayflower" Passenger her father

Howard Crosby Rankin, Jr. is my 8th cousin.
Me   → Geneva Allene Welborn (Smith) my mother → Alice Elmyra Smith (Henley) her mother
→ William Otis Henley her father → John William Henley his father
→ Rebecca Henley (Holt) his mother → Peter Martin Holt her father
→ Peter Holt, Jr his father → Peter Holt his father → Jacob Holt his brother
→ John Israel Holt his son → Israel Holt his son → Leodicia Dicy Nelson (Holt) his daughter
→ Daniel Frank Nelson her son → Clarcy Pace (Nelson) his daughter
→ Eleece Pate (Pace) her daughter → Gloria Elizabeth Rankin (Pate) her daughter
→ Howard Crosby Rankin, Jr. her son

Private
6/20/2021 at 2:20 PM

If any of you have Family Search, you will trace me back to John Howland on my mother's side of the family. I am descended from Henry Howland, John's brother, on my father's side of the family. Geni totally has it wrong.

6/20/2021 at 3:13 PM

Private - you have unresolved conflicts on your own profile. Click the yellow conflict triangle and follow the prompts,

I’m sorry to hear that “Geni” is wrong but we have members ready to help fix it, if you can be specific as to which profile is wrong where. Normally members copy / paste the URL into a discussion message. Or you could start a discussion from the profile that seems in error.

6/20/2021 at 4:07 PM

At least give the names/links of the first few generations from John Howland. Which child? Which grandchild? Which great grandchild are your ancestors?

6/20/2021 at 4:17 PM

Esther Crosby

She is the great granddaughter of Henry Howland.

She is also the wife of your second cousin 6 times removed.

Private
6/20/2021 at 4:32 PM

Hattie Anne Blejer, Would you be so kind and look at my family tree on Ancestry? I don't expect any changes unless I make them. My Ancestry login name is floridaboy25. You will be able to see my entire family tree. When you look at my family tree, go up my Pate, Beck, Gibbs line.

6/20/2021 at 5:00 PM

I don’t know the answer yet - community, please help with sourcing - but the discrepancy is at Hannah Gibbs

Hannah Ann (Dickinson) Gibbs is Gloria Elizabeth (Pate) Rankin's 6th great grandmother. https://www.geni.com/path/Gloria-Rankin+is+related+to+Hannah-Gibbs?from=6000000097877956020&path_type=blood&to=6000000021233564685

On Geni, she is showing currently as
Daughter of Sgt. John Dickinson and Frances (Foote) Barnard
Frances Barnard & Sgt. John Dickinson Son of Nathaniel Dickinson and Anne (Bincks) Dickinson.

Your tree has John Dickinson
1602–1683
BIRTH 1602
DEATH 1683

Elizabeth Howland
1631–1692
BIRTH 1631
DEATH 1692

As parents of
Hannah Ann Dickinson
1670–1742
BIRTH 1670
DEATH 1742

https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/20464416/person/30...

Private User
6/20/2021 at 5:03 PM

Hannah Dickinson is the problem -- someone has changed her line ..Geni has her as the dau of John Dickinson and Frances Foote it should be John Dickinson and Elizabeth Howland ..

6/20/2021 at 5:04 PM

Elizabeth Dickinson - the about is sloppy, I’m so sorry. But does have her will:

"I Elizabeth Dickinson widow, of Oyster Bay, being somewhat weakly and sick but perfect memory and understanding. I give to my son Jabez my house and lot furnishings, when he die this to go to my son Joseph. I give to my son Samuel 5 shares of land at the planes plus what I have already given him. I give to my son James two rights of three in the Old Purchase of Oyster Bay on the west side of Nicholas Wright going to Lusum. Five Acres of land at Plains and right of Commonage divided equally between Samuel, Jabez and James. I give to my daughter Hannah my bed, curtains, chests and etc. I give to my grandson Robert or Richard Harcut 2 sheep. All remainder of my estate I give to my three youngest daughters Mehetable, Cheshire (Lydia) and Hannah. Dec 1691." Townsend Memorial, page 54.

So she did have a daughter Hannah / Anna.

6/20/2021 at 5:28 PM

Private User yes, you nailed it. Hannah Gibbs had the wrong parents.

Added Biography and corrected parents, I will lock relationships in a moment.

John Howland, "Mayflower" Passenger is Gloria Elizabeth (Pate) Rankin's 8th great grandfather. https://www.geni.com/path/Gloria-Rankin+is+related+to+John-Howland-Mayflower-Passenger?from=6000000097877956020&path_type=blood&to=6000000002165248313

Malcolm Henry Pate 

her father → Mary Teresa (Beck) Pate
his mother → Vicey Lavitha Beck
her mother → John William Beck
her father → Jesse M Beck, Sr.
his father → Susannah (Gibbs) Beck
his mother → Isaac Gibbs
her father → Hannah (Dickinson) Gibbs
his mother → Elizabeth (Howland) Dickenson
her mother → John Howland, "Mayflower" Passenger
her father

6/20/2021 at 5:44 PM

Nice work Private User

6/20/2021 at 5:47 PM

And Erica Howton of course.

Private
6/20/2021 at 7:49 PM

Thank you, Vicky Hudson. It is much easier to do with a computer than a cell phone.

Private
6/20/2021 at 7:59 PM

You may add to his biography that he was the Mayflower passenger who fell overboard and was rescued by the ship's crew.

6/20/2021 at 9:58 PM

It’s been there.

“From a display piece belonging to an unidentified educational kit about American pilgrims: "Did You Know?...A young servant named John Howland climbed up the gratings during a storm to see if the fittings were loose. As a wave hit the ship, he was thrown into the raging water but caught a thin rope hanging over the side. He was quickly pulled aboard."

I changed the profile front image to the “man overboard” painting.

Private User
6/20/2021 at 10:23 PM

Thanks .. like Howard Rankin - John and Elizabeth arevmy 10th great and well even tho they may be kin other ways its strange to see them not show up as 10th greats ..

6/20/2021 at 10:37 PM

The “other” Dickinson family had several children with the same names & similar dates unfortunately, it was a mixup waiting to happen. We have to take the time to write biographies in profiles, describing the family. I’ve done that now for this family group.

Private
6/22/2021 at 4:20 AM

Thank you Erica for the help.

Private
6/22/2021 at 4:22 AM

Now, to verify your connection with me.

Showing all 23 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion