Geoffrey de Brionne, Count of Eu & Brionne - sister question

Started by dale scott on Monday, January 25, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 2 posts

The profile for Geoffrey states he is "Brother of Sister of Gilbert de Brionne, uncertain parentage." Wouldn't that mean Geoffrey is also a brother of Gilbert de Brionne? However, his father Richard I, 'the Fearless', Duke of Normandy, doesn't seem to have had a child called Gilbert de Brionne.

Medlands https://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/NORMANDY%20NOBILITY.htm#_Toc38956176 states, "Orderic Vitalis records that "Gislebertus comes Brionnæ nepos Ricardi ducis Normannorum" married "neptem suam" to “Baldrico Teutonico”, ... ]."
This translate to , Gislebert [Gilbert], Count of Brionne, nephew of Richard Duke of the Normans, gave his niece in marriage to Baudric the Teuton...

Medlands https://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/normacre.htm#GeoffreyBrionnedied1015B states, "GEOFFROY de Brionne, illegitimate son of RICHARD I Duke of Normandy .. Geoffroy & his wife had [two] children:
1. GILBERT de Brionne "Crespin" ([979/1000]-murdered [Mar] [1040]).
2. [--- .] m ---. One child:
a) daughter . m BALDRIC"

1) The first Medlands quote states Gilbert is a nephew of Richard, rather than his grandson. I haven't found a nephew of Richard named Gilbert. Was there one, or is this an error?

Both the first and second quote support the concept that a Gilbert had a niece that married Baldric.

2) Could the mother of this niece be the unknown sister? If that is correct, this unknown sister is not a daughter of Richard and a sister of Geoffrey. Wouldn't she have to be a daughter of Geoffrey?

3) Some unsourced sites I looked at, state Alix de Brionne is the daughter of Geoffroy de Brionne and Eu de Clare.. Any thoughts on that?

Hi, Dale. The definition of "nepos," as I understand it, means more like "younger relative," so it could mean nephew, niece, granddaughter, or grandson. That's why it's hard to pin down these "nepos" relationships.

I'd need more documentation on the Alix issue.

Showing all 2 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion