James Boulware / Bowler - Need Help

Started by Debbie Gambrell on Wednesday, September 2, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 9 posts
9/2/2020 at 11:34 AM

I've been trying to make sense of all the conflicting info online about this family and especially the parentage of this James. Some have his father as Thomas Bowler and an unknown 1st wife, some have him as Thomas' son by 2nd wife Tabitha Underwood.

This site http://www.carolshouse.com/familyhistory/boler/ states:

"Many Boulware family members claim descendancy from the prominent Thomas Bowler, owner's of Bowler's Wharf, through his proven son James. But that lineage appears to be in error. Bowler's Wharf was inherited by Thomas Bowler's daughter Anne, who married Richard Cocke, indicating his son probably died without heirs.

Many researchers attribute the lineage of the James Boulware who married Margory Gray to the above child of Thomas Bowler. The James Boulware who married Margory Gray was a generation older than Thomas Bowler's son James. We have not been able to determine if there was any relationship between Thomas Bowler & James Boulware. What we do know for sure is that there were 3 early Bowler / Boulware men in the Old Rappahannock / Essex Co, VA area in additional to Thomas Bowler. Two of the men, James & William, were known to be brothers. A study of the man descendants of each seems to indicate that James Boulware (who married Margory Gray) was the ancestor of those descendants who carried on the Bowler / Boulware name."

So, it's saying the dates don't work for this James to have been the son of the Thomas Bowler he is connected to, by any wife, and yet the same site lists this as James' parents:

Child of THOMAS BOWLER and UNKNOWN is:

1. ELIZABETH BOWLAR8,9, m. JOHN HACKLEY.

Children of THOMAS BOWLER and TABITHA UNDERWOOD are:

2. JAMES BOWLER, b. Bet. 1672 - 1673, Old Rappahannock Co, VA10,11,12.

3. ANNE BOWLER13,14, b. January 23, 1674/75, Old Rappahannock Co, VA15,16; d. April 24, 170517,18; m. RICHARD COCKE19; d. Bef. October 172020.

The site lists many sources for documentation, more than any I've seen for any other listings of these family connections. So I Googled some of them and most of the info wasn't about James. This was basically all I found about his connection:

https://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/boulware/138/

Children of THOMAS BOWLER and TABITHA EDLOW are:
2. i. JAMES2 BOWLER, b. 1643, England; d. Abt. 1713, St Ann's Parish, Essex, Virginia.
ii. ELIZABETH BOWLER.
iii. ANNE BOWLER, b. 1675; d. 1705; m. RICHARD COCKE; b. Bremor.

JAMES2 BOWLER (THOMAS1) was born 1643 in England, and died Abt. 1713 in St Ann's Parish, Essex, Virginia.He married MARY GRAY 1665 in Old Rappahannock, VA, daughter of WILLIAM GRAY and MANDLIN.She was born 1648 in St. Ann's Parish, Essex CO., VA, and died in St Ann's Parish, Essex, VA.
Notes for JAMES BOWLER:
Essex County quit rent roll of 1704 shows he owned 100

Notes for JAMES BOWLER:
Essex County quit rent roll of 1704 shows he owned 100
Will in 1713 mentions James, Mark, Benjamine, William, Mary, and Grace and wife Mariory Boulware, and signed by Mary F. Bowler, probating the will.

Will in 1713 mentions James, Mark, Benjamine, William, Mary, and Grace and wife Mariory Boulware, and signed by Mary F. Bowler, probating the will.

More About JAMES BOWLER:
Will: 1713, Essex CO., VA, probated 1718 Will Book 3, page 77

So, the questions to be answered are:

1) Was this James the son of Thomas Bowler who was married to Tabitha Underwood?
2) If so, was he the son of Thomas' unnamed wife or Tabitha Underwood

There isn't a curator attache do this profile, so I'm asking Erica Howton if she will assist with this, as she is awesome at getting to the bottom of this very kind of conflicting info.

9/2/2020 at 12:54 PM

I’ve seen that site before, it’s very helpful. I’m thinking to approach this through the Cocke family, which is both easily confused (multiple Richards) and well documented. So will be back after Cocke cleanup.

9/2/2020 at 2:43 PM

Awesome! Thanks so much, Erica!

9/2/2020 at 3:47 PM

Tabitha Edlow / Enloe is wrong: Lt. Col. Matthew Edlow, II was a stepfather to Tabitha Bowler

9/2/2020 at 4:20 PM

Colonel Thomas Bowler, of Bowler’s Wharf Had no surviving male issue or his daughter Anne Cocke would not have inherited Bowlers Wharf. In addition, his known son James Bowler was born about 1672 (Tabitha Underwood’s son) but the James Boulware (who married Margory Gray) was born about 1641 - a generation earlier.

It looks like James Boulware “was the ancestor of those descendants who carried on the Bowler / Boulware name.” Parents unknown, brother of William.

9/2/2020 at 4:39 PM

Clearly descent from the Colonel daughtered out.

“An article by James Southall in Virginia Magazine of History and Biography says that Tabitha Cocke Adams owns that part of her Grand-father's estate where Bowler's Wharf is located.“

"The Boulware family Genealogy". By James Richmond Boulware II July, 1948.

http://fairfieldgenealogysociety.org/Members_Only/PDF/Books/Boulwar...

9/2/2020 at 5:07 PM

I'm grateful to have had your eyes on it, Erica. There was just no consensus and a mess with all the same-name folks all over the internet. This cuts my line, but I'm glad to have it corrected rather than giving false pathways.

9/2/2020 at 5:17 PM

Erica, I have to chuckle when this happens. So my line was cut, but...Thomas Bowler of Bowler's Wharf is still my youngest son's paternal 10th great-grandfather via Elizabeth Bowler Hackley. And they're still in-law connections to me. So even when my lines get cut, they often still remain connected to me somehow. We have so much endogamy I call it kudzu. lol

9/2/2020 at 5:22 PM

It is Kudzu! But this was actually easy to fix - “follow the property.” :)

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion