Trees needing dissection

Started by Erica Howton on Thursday, March 29, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 10 posts
3/29/2018 at 10:09 PM

I don’t think she was the mother of all these children ?

Go-sa-du-isga, Kituwah Ani'-ga'tage'wi, Wild Potato Clan

3/29/2018 at 11:10 PM

And I don’t think she was the sister of all these people

NN wife of Cornelius Dougherty

3/30/2018 at 7:59 AM

That's a bogus profile. Her 'children' aren't related to one another and their parents are unknown. There was a real woman by this name who lived from about 1750-1800.

3/30/2018 at 10:31 AM

Who was her real husband, do we know? Was she wife of Cornelius Dougherty, or was that a different person?

3/30/2018 at 11:58 AM

A couple of speculative husbands, one named Scott, one named Brown, but not documented. We don’t know who Cornekius Dougherty’s wife or wives were.

3/31/2018 at 4:02 PM

I've debunked the identity of the progenitor of the Cherokee Downing tree, topping it with (Possibly) Annie Beehunter* and Major Downing, Indian Trader. I also verified the top 3-4 generations using Starr's genealogy.

When I get another stretch of free time I'll work down another of Starr's main families. I skipped the Ludovic Grant family since I imagine Kathie will clean that one up since it's hers ;^).

Starr's book is online at https://archive.org/stream/historyofcheroke00lcstar?. It takes a while to learn to use his coding on the genealogy section, so be forewarned.

It would be nice if someone could cut and paste some of the bios in the back into our profiles (with proper attribution, of course). It can be downloaded in Plain Text which will allow cutting and pasting.

Also, Starr is searchable in the online format, so you can find all references to a person and piece together everything he has to say about a person or family.

We'll get this cleaned up, one profile at a time. Thank you for your help!!

4/1/2018 at 12:00 PM

Regarding Starr's book: I see this on a lot on sites, this came from my ancestry account message boards, thought I would share just in case.

NewRe: History of the Cherokee People by Dr Emmett Starr
Roy (View posts)
Posted: 03 Mar 2002 01:06AM
Classification: Query
Surnames: Christie
While I really like Starr's book, be aware that it has mistakes. Actually quite a few. There is a book in prepublication now which will address these errors. I'm looking forward to it myself. I've found many mistakes on my family line in the Starr book. But, I am not bashing it. I do think it is a fantastic work. I do mostly "Christie" research, but in the last year have began a database of Cherokee Nation names and families.

Paula (View posts)
Posted: 29 Mar 2002 07:56AM
Try your local or county library for a copy of the book in their genealogy section. My library is VERY small and they have it. I think most do.

Ann Goddard (View posts)
Posted: 12 Apr 2002 11:13AM
I have a couple of copies of this publication, one that has my great-grandfather's name imprinted on it--apparently was given to tribal members when it was published--and a recent reprint. The reprint is inscribed "New Reprint Printintg 1991, Kraus Reprint Co., Millwood NY, 1977". Its current ISBN is 0-527-85700-9. My brother acquired this for me within the last 5 years, so it may still be available. The down side of the book is that it didn't include an index, so requires HOURS of paging through it to find a particular name, unless you know which "prominent family" to go to.

4/1/2018 at 12:16 PM

Hi cousin Shanon

Do you know what the updated book is?

4/1/2018 at 1:01 PM

The book was a subscription book; people paid to have their pictures and biographies included, and if you subscribed you got a copy with your name on it. There is an edition with an index, Oklahoma Yesterday Publications, 1979. Starr did make errors - he was working from people’s memories as well as census and other records, and he had no computer to sort and correlate for him, but it is generally accurate. In some cases he missed a generation, in some cases children are not attached to the correct parent, and some of the family stories he used were in hindsight muddled or erroneous, but for many lines it’s all we have. David Hampton documented (and corrected) several lines in his “Cherokee Mixed Bloods”. Jim Hicks started out doing the same thing but went off the rails with totally undocumented early lines.

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion