Started by Private User on Sunday, February 25, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 9 posts
Private User
2/25/2018 at 5:56 AM

(Copypasted from Medieval Duplicates, where it didn't quite belong)

Maven B. Helms PRO
2/22/2018 at 10:14 AM
Report | Delete

This is interesting: Sir Francis Drake, Vice Admiral *did not* have a legal right to the arms of Drake of Ash (red wyvern on white background) - either not related, or too distantly related. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Drake

That didn't stop him from quartering Drake of Ash with the new arms the Heralds drew up for him (reportedly at the Queen's request): Sable, a fess wavy between two pole-stars Arctic and Antarctic argent (that last is just a fancy way of saying two estoiles in pale).

Maven B. Helms PRO
2/22/2018 at 10:33 AM
Report | Delete

This, I believe, is the dude who boxed Sir Francis' ear over the armorial dispute: Sir Barnard Drake, of Ashe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Drake
http://www.biographi.ca/en/bio/drake_bernard_1E.html

Notes on relationship of Drakes of Ash to Drake of Tavistock (i.e. Sir Francis): https://web.archive.org/web/20120914015155/http://www.wyverngules.c...

Woodman Mark Lowes Dickinson, OBE PRO
2/22/2018 at 11:30 AM

Your last link is very interesting - not least because old muniments are still turning up/

Janet Yvonne Correll
yesterday at 4:17 PM

My understanding is, you are correct in saying Sir Francis Drake was probably not related to the Drakes of Ashe (even though there was at least one Francis among them, 1591-1636). He was the eldest of 12 sons of Edmund Drake, a Protestant farmer, of Tavistock, Devon. Though, like many of the Drakes of Ashe, he was a seafarer of great note. His exploits caught the attention of Queen Elizabeth, I, and no doubt he thought he was deserving of an armorial crest of his own and that of the Drakes of Ashe would fit nicely, with a little modification. Hence the dispute with Admiral Sir Bernard Drake. Of course, Elizabeth ruled in Francis' favor (probably thinking of all that lovely gold bullion he brought back to his Queen.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Note for anyone who doesn't want to slog through the long article: the short of it is that Sir Bernard and Sir Francis may have been something like 9th cousins once removed.

2/25/2018 at 6:12 AM

:-)

2/26/2018 at 9:18 AM

My ancestors figure prominently in the Drake of Ashe line, though I have been trying to remedy an omission in my more recent ancestors. There were 2 David Cornicks. Only the younger David Cornick shows. Missing, is David Cornick, 1820-1856 (Spouse: Jane Hamm, 1822-1852). Without this entry, all earlier entries in this thread are off by one generation. Can someone please fix this, or tell me how to fix it? Thank you.

(No Name)
4/8/2018 at 6:34 PM

You
→ Marjorie Ann McLean
your mother → Gladys June Allen
her mother → Adelia Lavina Allen (Lowe)
her mother → Elizabeth Henrietta Mullenix
her mother → Mary Lynchard Mullennix
her mother → Prudence Talbert
her mother → Henry Talbert
her father → Leanna Talbot
his mother → Mary Ann Mason
her mother → Samuel Nicolson (Nicholson)
her father → Hannah Nicholson
his mother → Sarah Rednap
her mother → George Lawton, I
her father → Jane Lawton
his mother → Thomasine Grenville
her mother → Thomas Cole, of Slade
her father → John Cole, of Slade
his father → Simon Cole, of Slade
his father → William Cole, of Colehanger
his brother → John Cole, of Rill, Esq.
his son → Margaret Cole of Rill
his daughter → Edmund Drake, of Crowdale
her son → Sir Francis Drake
his son

4/14/2018 at 1:03 AM

@Heather. Olsen. Iam very interested in the Stapleton-Drake or Palmer-Drake connection. I have genealogical details of my husbands family Stapleton going back to 13th Century. But although we posess an oil painting of a young naval officer reputed to be Sir Francis Drake the ubiform is circa 1630. So not The Admiral. It came down the family from George Arthur Palmer b 7 Feb 1844 in Olney. Bucks.. he martied Catherine Seeley.and one of their children was named Harry DRAKE Palmer. I cant find the link to Drake but here we have the original portrait of one of the Sir Francis Drakes. There were a couple of them . Can you comment?

4/14/2018 at 1:12 AM

Apart from the original oil portrat of the young naval officer circa 1640, we also inherited a gold - crest of a ship of the line and i have discovered that that was one og the crests mooted for Queen Elizabeth's Sir Francis. Although that was not the chosen crest in the end. All leading to more questions. Going to look into the Ash line.

Private User
4/16/2018 at 6:12 AM

Seafaring Drakes are rather common, but in few cases can any relationship between them be found. (So far no Drake who settled in America has been proven to be related to *the* Sir Francis Drake.)

4/17/2018 at 12:04 PM

Thank you Maven. I ahall continue the search.

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion