George E. Abbott, of Rowley - update needed for George Abbott of Rowley?

Started by Private User on Sunday, November 26, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 24 posts

There is newer information about George Abbott of Rowley that can be found in the following artilce:
Leslie Mahler, "The English Origin of George(1) Abbott of Rowley, Massachusetts" TAG Vol. 85(2011):26-28.

Some of the birth, death, marriage information provided in that article can be found at the following link.
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bobwolfe/gen/mn/m10932x30906.htm

Thanks. Looks like this changes George Abbott's parents and location, as well as his wife and dates for his children.

Tagging the surrounding profiles:

Mary Abbott

Dea. Nehemiah Abbott

George Abbott, Jr.

Capt. Thomas (2) Abbott

The re-configured family can be found here:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bobwolfe/gen/person/g10932.htm

Need discussion and buy off from the curators of the surrounding profiles.

Jeanie and I tried to fix this on Wikitree and GENI some time ago:

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Abbott-89

She wrote a very good summary on her blog:

http://www.jeaniesgenealogy.com/2016/01/an-abundance-of-abbotts-geo...

You can see in the revision log for George Abbott that the unknown parents were removed and replaced by the bogus royal lineage:

"George E. Abbott, of Rowley was disconnected from his parents unknown father of George Abbott, of Rowley and unknown mother of George Abbott, of Rowley by Patrice Nolan Gillespie.
Jul 1 at 8:06 AM"

The new parents (Thomas and Ann ____ Abbott) will need to be relationship locked this time or Morris will keep coming back. We should also add George Abbott to Spurious Pedigrees.

I have a subscription to TAG and have this issue. If you need a copy for reference Justin I could scan it. It's only 3 pages. It includes the correct parents and children. But use it for updates only and please don't post it because it is under copyright.

I added George1 to Spurious Pedigrees

I removed Morris et. all as parents and replaced them with Thomas and Ann ___

1. ThomasA Abbott, in Mahler, Leslie. The English Origin of George1 Abbott of Rowley, Massachusetts. American Genealogist (D.L. Jacobus). (Jan 2011), 85:27-28.
"1. ThomasA Abbott was born say 1556 (assuming that he was age 25 in 1581), and was buried at Chappel, co. Essex, on 30 May 1625. … There were earlier Abbotts living at Chappel, but their wills do not mention Thomas. … On 6 October 1625, George Abbott of 'Ponsbright alias Chappel,' maltster, administrator for his father, Thomas Abbott, deceased, entered feoffment … "

This is the oldest known generation of this family. They need to be locked

I added some quotes from the TAG article to Thomas, Ann and George.

Justin Can you change George's birth place to Chappel, Essex, England. The entry is locked. I updated the birth date to the bp date and listed it as "before." His death date is locked and should be changed to before 30 Aug 1647 (Date of inventory).

Correct children include: Thomas, George, Mary, Nehemiah, Mary (again), Thomas (again).

Also can we remove the "E" middle initial for George? The name is locked.

Updating children per TAG and adding notes....

Please MP son Thomas Abbott so he isn't merged with the 2nd son named also Thomas Abbott:

Thomas (1) Abbott

Capt. Thomas (2) Abbott

Birth should be changed to bef 1639, death 6 MAY 1695 in Andover.

Done, and MP'd parents, and updated locked fields. Can't lock to relationships until all of Thomas Abbott are entered.

Thank you for this update.

I'll send this to Ben:

George1 Abbott, in Mahler, Leslie. The English Origin of George1 Abbott of Rowley, Massachusetts. American Genealogist (D.L. Jacobus). (Jan 2011), 85:27.
"… Mary Felstead … 'Mary wife of George Abbott' was buried at Chappel at the end of the year 1633 [exact date is illegible]."

Mary Abbott

See:
https://www.geni.com/discussions/174360?msg=1182762

Please change maiden name to Felstead
Birth place probably Chappel, co. Essex

I'll send this to Agnus:

# George2 Abbott, in Mahler, Leslie. The English Origin of George1 Abbott of Rowley, Massachusetts. American Genealogist (D.L. Jacobus). (Jan 2011), 85:28. "George Abbott, bp. (Chappel, Essex) 22 Nov. 1627, d. Andover, Mass, 22 Mar 1688/9, m there 26 Apr 1658, Sarah2 Farnham, dau of Ralph1 and Alice (___) Farnham of Ipsiwch, MA, Ten Children."

George Abbott, Jr.

See:
https://www.geni.com/discussions/174360?msg=1182762

Please change birth to Before 22 Nov. 1627 Chappel, Essex, England

Erica this on is for you:

Dea. Nehemiah Abbott

# George2 Abbott, in Mahler, Leslie. The English Origin of George1 Abbott of Rowley, Massachusetts. American Genealogist (D.L. Jacobus). (Jan 2011), 85:28.

"Nehemiah Abbott, bp. (Chappel, Essex) 2 May 1630, d. Ipswich, Mass. March 1760-7; m. Ipswich, Mass., 14 Dec. 1659, Mary2 How, dau of James1 and Elizabeth (Dane) How(e). Three children, two of whom d. young.

They have the death as March 1760 (no day) and place Ipswich

These two Mary's need to be MP's so they are not merged:

Mary Abbott

Mary Abbott

Thanks all the children. Need to fix birth order.

The birth order is now right (and will look correct once the birth date of George the son is updated to 1627,

We should MP the 2nd unknown wife as well so she doesn't get merged:

Unknown 2nd wife Abbott

That should do it.

Many, many thanks Roland.

Since we have your support I'm willing to make whatever changes you need. I'll have some time later tonight. I'll double back then to check what has been fixed and what hasn't.

Thank you Justin, Erica and Patricia!

Erica, will you MP the profiles in this area?

Wait - this has to be a typo, or transposition of the 2nd Nehemiah's death date

" 2 May 1630, d. Ipswich, Mass. March 1760-7"

At 130 years old? nah.

Almost done with MP's updates. Ironically I was just in the Abbott tree connecting it to the Wolcott tree.

Doh! Sorry here we go from TAG:

"Nahamiah Abbott, bp. 2 May 1630, d. Ipswich, Mass., March 1706/7; m. Ipswich, Mass., 14 Dec. 1659, Mary2 How, daughter of James1 and Elizabeth (Dane) How(e). Three children, two of whom d. young."

Angus has George Jr updated.

I believe we’re complete. Thank you very much for the efforts getting this line correct.

One more to MP:

Anne Abbott

Thanks, got her.

I want to throw out one more idea -- although this might not be a step that it is time to take. The newer baptismal and death information for this family has a baptism for a second Thomas in 1632/3 before the death of the wife Mary. From what I have read, the main reasoning for having Thomas. Jr. attributed to a different mother is that a family would no give two sons the same name. It can be assumed that Thomas born in 1625 is indeed Thomas, Sr. as he is the only child "of age" at the time of the probate of the estate of George Abbott in 1647. So, how to account for that second Thomas baptized in 1632/3 before Mary Felstead died. Is it possible that Thomas, Jr. is also the child of George and Mary?

Showing all 24 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion