Will the real James Ludwell Lee please stand up?

Started by Private User on Sunday, October 29, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

• Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Geni Pro

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing 1-30 of 81 posts
Private User
10/29/2017 at 11:19 PM

I am searching for James Ludwell Lee who is the father of my 5th grandfather, William Travers Lee (1750-1782). (I am very new at this so I appreciate your help and patience.)

They are descendants of Henry Harry Leigh who came to Va. from England in 1636. One of Harry's sons was James Leigh (Lee) (1624-1657). He seems to have three sons named James, three grandsons named James, two great-grandsons named James and one named James Ludwell, and four more great-grands names James or James Ludwell.

I find two possible paths. In the more plausible path, the father of James Ludwell (1720-1777), James (1675-1731) would have been born only seven years after his father, James was born in 1668.

I have exchanged messages with Erica and she pointed me to Discussions as a starting point to help get me on the right track? Any suggestions for me? Thanks.

Shirley

Private User
10/29/2017 at 11:26 PM

I just saw the message about tagging a profile in my post. I'm sorry.

Private User
10/30/2017 at 7:13 PM

This d00d James Lee, of Bertie County, NC looks like he might be James Leigh/Lee of Bath, NC (b. c1670, d. 1728 Bath, NC), leedna.com ID#126.

He has two probable descendants on their chart, Elwood Leigh and Jack Lee (no dates or other information).

Next-closest match, at 90% (marginally possible) is James Lee (b. 1765 GA, d. 1851 Russell Co., VA), who is otherwise an isolate.

One step farther out, 87%, (possible collateral) is William Lee (bc1780, dc1840-50 Jackson Co., AL)

They're definitely not close enough matches to the Stratford Hall Lees (aka THE Lees, Gen. Robert E; Lee's ancestors) to be directly related, but it's possible there was a common ancestor long, long ago (like, circa King John or earlier).

Private User
10/30/2017 at 7:48 PM

I also think this profile James Ludwell Lee has been mash-merged. Going through several wives *did* happen in those days, but their dates don't look reasonable.

10/30/2017 at 7:56 PM

Great start! Thank you both.

Here's the Lee DNA project

http://www.leedna.com/dnaresults.php

Private User
10/31/2017 at 3:11 PM

Hmmm. Here's a will abstract from Bath, NC (apparently only the abstract survives):
LEIGH, JAMES
September 23, 1728. October Court, 1728. Sons: JAMBS ("part of the tract of land I now live on"), JOHN (land called the Accomack Entry),
Lyonall (land adjoining the Accomack Entry). Daughters: SARAH LEIGH, PATIENCE PURSER, ELIZABETH UNDERWOOD and MILLY DURHAM. Wife: ANN. Grandson: PETER LEIGH. Executors: JAMES and JOHN LEIGH (sons). Trustee: ROBERT RURNER. Witnesses: ROBERT PEYTON, ROBERT PEYTON, BENJA. PEYTON. Clerk of the Court: JOHN MATTOCKE.
(Source: Abstracts of North Carolina Wills, By: J. Bryan Grimes, Secretary of State, 1910, Page 213) http://genealogytrails.com/ncar/bath/wills_abstracts.html

Let's see: wife Anne (not Sarah Ludwell); sons James, John and Lionel; daughters Sarah (unmarried?), Patience (m. Purser), Elizabeth (m. Underwood), and Milly (m. Durham). Grandson Peter Leigh (by one of the sons, or another deceased son?).

James Leigh in association with a Lionel Reading, both styled "Esq.", 1704: “Court held At the house of Robert Molynes in Pamplico Nov. 22d, 1704. Present Will Barrow, Esq., Edmund Pirie, Esq., Lyonel Reading, Esq., and James Leigh, Esq. http://genealogytrails.com/ncar/bath/court_records.html

Bath is no longer a county, but the town of Bath remains.

Leedna.com has two trackbacks to Henry Lee of York County (IDs #62 and 67), but (uh-oh!) their tests show no close relationship to anybody else in the study. Both tests are typed R1b - and James Leigh of Bath is typed I1a. NO relationship possible, period.

People used to do that, make up descendant charts based on logical guesses and possible connections - and then along came DNA research to show "it ain't necessarily so".

Private User
10/31/2017 at 3:22 PM

Children of James Lee Jr., per "Descendants of Henry Lee of York County" http://www.hdhdata.org/roots/h2559.html, are Peter, John, Mary and Levi. He d. 1738 in Bath Co., NC, so isn't the "James Ludwell Lee" who fathered William Travers Lee.

Private User
10/31/2017 at 3:32 PM

According to this blog post http://www.genealogy.com/ftm/p/u/r/Fred-O-Purser-jr/GENE2-0001.html, James Leigh and wife Sarah (birth here given as Helmot) may have come to Bath, NC by way of Accomack County, VA, possibly explaining the references to "Accomack Entry" in James' will. Apparently they "just passed through", as they left no traces in the Miles Files.

Private User
10/31/2017 at 3:40 PM

Hokay, back to the drawing board....

10/31/2017 at 3:47 PM

I took the point about too many wives & did a couple of un do merges

I’m thinking Agnes Rogers May belong to a different James Lee

Private User
10/31/2017 at 3:59 PM

We can continue to rule out a direct male-line descent from THE Lees - there is no "James Ludwell Lee" nor "William Travers Lee" in the Studbook. https://archive.org/stream/leeofvirginia16400inleee

Private User
10/31/2017 at 4:12 PM

This is very messy and may or may not be what we're looking for - but it has a James Lee with a son William AND a son Travis (two different people): http://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/lee/11681/

I think we can discount the first few entries, as they seem to be raw infodumps.

10/31/2017 at 4:12 PM

Jane Lee Thompson

https://books.google.com/books/about/Descendants_of_Closs_Thompson_...

Closs Thompson, Sr. was born in about 1729 in Pennsylvania. He married Jane Jones Lee, a widow with two children, in 1759 in Rowan County, North Carolina. They had seven children. In 1787 they migrated to Kentucky. Closs died in about 1800. Jane died in 1842 in Sharpsburg, Bath County, Kentucky

---

Rowan, not Edgecombe (?)

10/31/2017 at 4:14 PM

This is pretty cool

http://genpatty.blogspot.com/2007/12/closs-thompson-daniel-boone.html

Enclosed is the marriage bond of Closs Thompson, Sr and Jane Jones Lee. It was signed by the famous Daniel Boone, indicating that he and Closs were close friends. You chose someone very close to you to sign a marriage bond –plus the bond was a promise to pay money if a problem was found that would make the marriage illegal. Signing a marriage bond was not taken lightly in 1759. It was one of the few records that survive to this day. This one was in Rowan County, North Carolina.

10/31/2017 at 4:15 PM

12 Jan 2011 Addendum!! I have been contacted by another descendant that brought to my attention that the signature on Closs Thompson's marriage bond was Thomas Jones -- not Francis Jones. This is a brother of Jane Jones Lee Thompson. I stand corrected. I wish I knew for sure who her father was, oh well, we can't have everything can we?

10/31/2017 at 4:20 PM

http://alvyray.com/Riggs/vol1/ElderWilsonThompsonGenealogy_v1.4.pdf Jane Jones, parents unknown but siblings known, married 1) unknown Lee, 2 children 2) Closs Thompson, at least 4 children

So she's not the widow of James Ludwell Lee because she known his name too well.

10/31/2017 at 4:24 PM

According to http://www.angelfire.com/wi2/theclawsons/williamjones/wmjg02.htm

Jane married (1) James LEE. James was born in 1734 in ,,Virginia.

They had the following children:

+ 20 M i James LEE II was born in 1760. He died in 1817.James married Mary Elizabeth JONES about 1784 in ,,Kentucky. Mary was born about 1762 in ,,Virginia. She died in ,Vigo,Indiana. She was buried in Prairie Creek,Vigo,Indiana.
  21 F ii Nancy LEE was born about 1762 in ,,Virginia. Nancy married Bethuel RIGGS about 1778.

20. James LEE II (Jane JONES , William ) was born in 1760 in ,,Virginia. He died in 1817 in ,Vigo,Indiana. He was buried in Prairie Creek,Vigo,Indiana.

Private User
10/31/2017 at 4:33 PM

Lees that turn up in the deep Southeast stand a fair chance of belonging to the John Lee of Nansemond (Ralph Leigh) line. There's a lot of members (upwards of 40 kits represented at leedna.com - even allowing for repetitions, somebody was very very prolific!).

The forefather of the group isn't John Lee of Nansemond - it's Ralph Leigh of Camarthen, Wales (born(?) c. 1560). This kin-group is *very* unusual for Wales in belonging to Y-haplogroup I-M253 (subset I-FGC23827 on long test) and suggests immigration from an area populated by persons of Saxon, Norse, or Norman descent.

10/31/2017 at 5:15 PM

So here’s Lee, of Rowan,NC descent to Vigo, Indiana, parents unknown, married Jane Jones. Not James Ludwell Lee as far as I can tell. That’s one wife eliminated.

10/31/2017 at 5:21 PM

A little more about the James Lee who married Jane Jones:

"This brief history was taken from the family Bible of Martin K. Lee's grandfather, James Lee, who was mentioned in this: James Lee was a native of Virginia, he married Mary Jones of VA, he became a companion of Daniel Boone, and served as a soldier in the War of Revolution. He was an elder in the Baptist Church. Theymoved to KY in an early day. He was ordained to the ministry at Elk Creek Church, Spencer Co KY. At the same time his friend and neighbor, Thomas Pound, was ordained as deacon at the same church. In the year 1816, he made an exploring trip to IN along the Wabash River in S ullivan and Vigo Counties and during that trip helped to organize First Prairie Creek Baptist Church the 4th Sat. in May, 1816, at which time he became pastor and continued until his death in 1819. H e moved from KY to OH and in 1817 to Vigo Co where he resided until his death. James Lee and his wife, Mary, were charter members.

10/31/2017 at 5:23 PM

(Sorry the narrative refers to his son)

10/31/2017 at 5:25 PM

Jame's father's name is unknown, BUT this much is known about him: 1758 Unknown Lee ma rried Jane Jones prob in VA. They moved to Rowan Co NC. In 1759 dau Nancy was born, and Jane became pregnant shortly thereafter. The unknown Lee was killed by Indians in late summer. In Oct 1759, Wido w Jane Lee married Closs Thompson, a close friend of Daniel Boone, who signed the marriage bond. The Cherokee were so fierce that shortly after the wedding, the Thompson-Lee, and Boone families moved to Culpepper Co VA for a year. Jane Lee-Thompson's child was born, James Lee Sr. The family moved back to Rowan Co Nc and settled on 564 acre land grant from Lord Granville on the south Yadkin River.
James Lee, Sr later moved to Va c Dec 1783, then to KY shortly he moved to Vigo Co IN and was minister to the town of Prairie Creek.

Marriage 1 Jane JONES
Married: ABT 1758
Children
Has Children James LEE b: ABT 1760 in Culpeper, Virginia
Has No Children Nancy LEE

10/31/2017 at 5:40 PM

And here's where the mess and confusion comes from

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/4:1:LZXL-PKB

Good grief.

Private User
10/31/2017 at 6:15 PM

ERICA, Can you delete this profile for John Ludwell Lee that I obviously added in Feb. when I first got on this website. (That was before I even realized that I was confused - I need to find the GENI FOR DUMMIES instructions - lol)

James Ludwell Lee

Or if it's ok for me to delete, let me know and I will.

10/31/2017 at 6:22 PM

I’d rather merge it in to James Ludwell Lee because you care enough to raise a really good question

10/31/2017 at 6:54 PM

Found parents for Frances Cureton

William Lee, Sr. was born 1750 which is her death date so for now going to show her as his mother

Private User
10/31/2017 at 7:20 PM

I am sorry that I am not contributing to this conversation. I am reading very carefully and trying to find my notes and/or remember about some of the things you guys are saying.

The earliest note I made about James Ludwell was:
James Ludwell Lee (1725-1777)

Married to: Frances Cureton 1685-1739, Agnes Cade 1713-1777, and Jane Jones 1738-1842.

1 child with Frances Cureton: James 1685-1739

15 children with Agnes Cade 1713-1777: John, 1758-1858, James Bud 1762-1815, Phillip 1763, 7 private (managed by Jeff Brown), Robert 1745-1808, Travis 1730-1786, Winney 1730-1786, James Ludwell 1775-1840, William Travers 1750-1794 (my 5th grandfather).

3 children with Jane Jones: James Ludwell 1751, Nancy 1757-1835, James Ludwell 1760-1819. After his death, She married Nichols Camp Thompson and had several more children in the 1760s & 70s.

Unfortunately, I don't know where I got this info.

10/31/2017 at 7:24 PM

It’s from FamilySearch & other sites - and as we’ve learned, the Jane Jones marriage is bogus. This is why I approach snarls via spouse & children.

Tell me about your Rev Soldier. Pension ? DAR / SAR? Are his wives correct on Geni?

Private User
10/31/2017 at 7:53 PM

Erica, I'm drawing a blank on your question about Rev Soldier Pension DAR/SAR . Am I connected to that somehow??

10/31/2017 at 8:11 PM

William Lee, Sr. is listed as a Rev War Soldier on various trees.
-----

I'm seeing here that the James who married Agnes Cade is different.

worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=drjameslawler&id=I64056

James , Jr. LEE Sex: M Birth: Abt 1720 in Bertie Co.,NC Note: James Lee's will was probated in Edgecombe Co., NC (Abstract of NC Wills by Grimes, St. George Library, LDS Record)

Showing 1-30 of 81 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion