Started by Private User on Monday, July 24, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 12 posts
Private User
7/24/2017 at 7:20 PM

Richard Bowen was NOT a son of Sir James Bowen and Eleanor Griffith. This was a forged Pedigree published many times but was refuted in "The American Genealogist" in 2001.

There was a whole discussion on wikitree about this- https://www.wikitree.com/g2g/314796/the-forged-ancestry-of-richard-...

3/9/2018 at 5:39 AM

In other words, don't trust the illustrious pedigree provided here.

3/9/2018 at 8:12 AM

Thank you for bringing back to attention, and I'm sorry we missed this before.

I've made a ""real" Richard Bowen, (died young) profile, added notes to spurious parents Sir James Bowen, Kt., of Llyngwair & First wife of Richard Bowen disconnected our immigrant ancestor from them, and locked relationships. I'll add him to the Spurious Pedigrees project as a further alert.

Thanks so much: it's important to get these mistakes and fabrications out of our trees.

3/10/2018 at 10:04 AM

You're very welcome!

That's great to hear. Hopefully more people will be kept from adding provably false ancestries to their genealogy. It's always sad for some people to find out that their ancestors parentage is unknown and wasn't the son of a Nobleman.

Of course! And especially on Geni!

3/10/2018 at 10:13 AM

You do know my middle name is "disconnectrix" right? Bring on the spurious!

I keep trying to get my ancestry to the humble peasants I know they must have been. I chop one line, another pops up ...

:)

3/10/2018 at 11:43 AM

Just adding a citation to the article in case I missed adding it to all relevant profiles

Source: Richard LeBaron Bowen Jr., "The Ancestry, Wives and Children of Richard Bowen of Weymouth and Rehoboth, Massachusetts," in The American Genealogist, vol. 76 (October 2001):263-278.

3/11/2018 at 12:35 PM

There seems to be a lot of spurious pedigrees for immigrants around here. I'm going to look at my Immigrant ancestors on here and see if there are any with fabricated pedigrees. I should also add that the birthplace of Richard Bowen is unknown, other than that he was born in Wales about 1594.

3/11/2018 at 6:07 PM

Removed birth place, added “of Weymouth & Rehoboth” to his name suffix, and updated the “overview.”

I haven’t looked yet at the 2nd wife’s profile, it probably needs some work also.

3/11/2018 at 8:27 PM

Coincidentally, I have been working on early families of Cumberland County, NJ. And one of the early settlers, who was prominent, seems to be a descendant of Richard Bowen, if the tree is correct.

Elijah Bowen, MD

3/12/2018 at 12:16 AM

I’m pretty sure the tree is good; it’s been well documented for a long time. There might be cleanup issues of course. The old sources are generally good for the later 1600 on down, it’s the first arrivers at risk.

I just saw a note on a site. There was a good cache of discoveries of new documents in the late 1800s, and some are proving out to be accurate enough.

That’s not relevant in this case. The illustrious Bowen Ancestry was bought and paid for.

[This message has been hidden until it can be reviewed by an administrator.]

What is occurring here with this profile discussion?

This is my father's family and he is still alive.

You do realize that several persons have actually acted towards my Aunt (now deceased) and my Uncle (now deceased), my Aunt Merilda Seth being the eldest sibling of this family has 3-sons and they have families.

I am not really sure why you are making statements about us being 'humble peasants' Erica.

Our family are hard-working individuals who have been seriously affected in a not so nice way, by this advent or demand of technology describing history.

I posted a book in sources about the Bowen's and I see you've noted that above. I've reviewed documents also that describes sources and with Wikipedia articles describing the military professions it is hard for me to read and experience the harsh and brashness of your tone and actions.

When I have stated to you that I descend from King Edward III from both of my parents and I do claim the crown of Scotland, England, and Wales, and I know for a fact I sat with a man at my in-laws dining table whose father managed the money of Elizabeth II's father and mother while they were doing business with Adolph Hitler before WWII, and I know that Elizabeth II knew this and did have the potential to destroy documents since 1978 or earlier, I am dismayed and frustrated by your comments Erica Howton.

This is the reason I have been working on my own genealogy website, because when I began to work on Geni and Wikitree, and used publications available to me as well as many other types of works provided by others, my profiles were locked and my whole of my work including my parents, my siblings, my children, and Grandparents were as you say, "your the 'Queen of disconnectrix, working to prove your improverished families plight of history", and I am not sure why I am being dragged through your motivation to undermine my families history.

Why is the message above dated 12//18/2021 hidden?

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion