Richard Drake - Equerry to Queen Elizabeth l - help check the children

Started by Erica Howton on Sunday, June 18, 2017
Problem with this page?

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 28 posts
6/18/2017 at 11:15 PM

I'm raising an eyebrow at Rodger in particular, of Bath in Somerset, Ashe in Devon. And Rodger leads to a Virginia arriver.

6/18/2017 at 11:22 PM

... And apparently I've done this before.

----

C
Richard Drake, of Esher was disconnected from his wife Christiana (Fawcett) Drake (Fawcett), 1552 and children Rodger Drake, Lawrence Drake, John Drake, 1573, Richard Drake and 1 other by Erica "the Disconnectrix" Howton.
May 5, 2013 at 4:12 AM

----

So not his wife & not his children.

http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1558-1603/member/dr...

6/18/2017 at 11:37 PM

So here's the real Equerry - one son

Richard Drake, of Esher

Who's this guy in Somerset?

6/18/2017 at 11:55 PM

Found him discussed here

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/DRAKE/2000-11/0973797573

DRAKE of Bread Street and Somerset, Eng.

"The biggest argument against a tie-in, even later, however,
is economic, for the Drakes of Bread Street were wealthy.
Members of this family were college educated in the
1600's. If they came to the colonies, they would have been large
landowners, and called "Captain" or "Colonel" in the records
(like Francis of New Jersey). On the contrary, the earliest
Drakes in IOW were poor, The earliest Drakes of IOW
were indentured servants, orphans, and it took almost
three generations to get on their feet. The fortunes of the
family were not made until Thomas Drake married into the
Browne family, and later, the Drakes of Nash County
married into the Arrington and Bridgers families. "

-----

Roger Drake, of Bread Street (in London) is the line leading to Isle of Wight VA arrivers.

-------

More quote:

"I think there *is* a connection between the Brewer family
and the Drake family of Isle of Wight, but I think it is
geographic rather than familial. The Brewers were a
prominent family from Chard (you can view a monument
to them on the web at
< http://www.southsomerset.gov.uk/churches/chard.htm >
and probably attracted settlers to Isle of Wight from
the whole surrounding area of Southern Somerset.
This is a type of supporting proof for the
Petherton--IOW connection, though less
powerful than a close family connection would
have been."

6/19/2017 at 1:48 AM

Here's Roger / Brewer in Boddie, no mention of Drake's going to IOW

https://books.google.com/books?id=Z2AAvycdC94C&amp;lpg=PA404&amp;ot...

6/19/2017 at 11:18 AM

Reverend Doctor Richard Drake, D.D. , Cambridge Divine, son of Roger the mercer of Bread Street, London, distinctly did not emigrate to the Isle of Wight in Virginia.

So that must have been this fellow: Richard Drake, of Isle of Wight - whom I have disconnected from parents.

6/19/2017 at 1:18 PM

Anne Brewer is the wrong generation to have been a daughter of Richard of Bread Street & his wife Christian Drake

Disconnected from parents.

6/19/2017 at 1:51 PM

Or are the dates screwy?

From From [https://books.google.com/books?id=Z2AAvycdC94C&amp;lpg=PA404&amp;dq... page 404] of Seventeenth Century Isle of Wight County, Virginia: A History of the County ... By John Bennett Boddie

John Brewer of London and Virginia wrote his will in 1631 and mentioned his uncle Roger Drake," citizen and clothworker of London."

John Brewer, of London & Virginia

6/19/2017 at 2:14 PM

Roger Drake, clothworker, was born 1571 so cannot (easily) have been the uncle of John born 1565. His father was Richard, not Roger. The family is of London & Somerset but not near Chard.

I think it was a different Drake family. Or possibly Richard had a brother Roger.

6/19/2017 at 2:25 PM

Or generation mixup?

From http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/BREWER/2003-01/104328...

Thomas' son John was the Brewer who came to Colonial Va. in the mid 1620's. Earlier Brewer biographies have stated that he came with his father a decade earlier, but the name Thomas Brewer does not appear in any Va. records until the late 1640's and then in connection with another family.

Little is known of his early life, but his later accomplishments suggest he was reasonable well educated. Va. land patents and his will simply identify his wife as "Mary" or "Marie" providing no hint as to her maiden name. Prof. Boyd's Marriage Register of England cites the marriage of John Brewer to Mary Drake in 1615, St. Vedast, London. Earlier biographies of John have confused his marriage with that of his Uncle, John Brewer, who married Mary Grove.. They were married in 1596, the approximate year of the younger John's birth.

John Boodie in his 17th Century Isle of Wight Co, Va. supplies an abstract of John Drake's 1623 London will, in which he makes bequeaths to Margaret Drake, wife of his brother Roger, and to John (John II)and Margaret, the children of john Brewer, grocer of London, and his wife Mary. John Drake was the brother of the Anne Drake who married Thomas Brewer, son of William Brewer the physician. His brother Roger Drake is the same "Uncle Roger Drake" that John Brewer named as guardian to his children in his 1635 will. In all probability, Mary Drake, Brewer was his daughter.

6/19/2017 at 3:21 PM

Now it works.

"John Drake was the brother of the Anne Drake who married Thomas Brewer, son of William Brewer the physician."

Anne Brewer was mixed up with a later Mary (Drake) Brewer (married in 1615 & perhaps not part of the Isle of Wight line)

6/19/2017 at 6:02 PM

So now we have a timeline where indeed Mary Butler could have been daughter of Roger Drake, of Bread Street (in London) & his wife Margaret.

6/19/2017 at 6:48 PM

Margaret Skinner married Edward or Arthur Skinner?

6/19/2017 at 7:00 PM

Disconnected Anne Brewer & Ann Nash

As children of John Brewer, of London & Virginia because they are not known to have been

6/30/2017 at 8:24 PM

Outstanding question:

Should Mary Butler be connected as probable daughter of Roger Drake, of Bread Street (in London) ?

The case for it is made here:

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/BREWER/2003-01/104328...

"John Boodie in his 17th Century Isle of Wight Co, Va. supplies an abstract of John Drake's 1623 London will, in which he makes bequeaths to Margaret Drake, wife of his brother Roger, and to John (John II)and Margaret, the children of john Brewer, grocer of London, and his wife Mary. John Drake was the brother of the Anne Drake who married Thomas Brewer, son of William Brewer the physician. His brother Roger Drake is the same "Uncle Roger Drake" that John Brewer named as guardian to his children in his 1635 will. In all probability, Mary Drake, Brewer was his daughter."

Thoughts?

Based on Mary's birth surname alone, I'm convinced that she belongs to the Drake family of Cheddon Fitzpaine and Bread Street. Her being the daughter of Roger of (Bread Street in?) London does neatly fit the story of the guardianship of her and John's issue: John (and presumably Mary) would be all the more likely to entrust the guardianship of their issue to Roger (instead of one of Roger's brothers) if Roger was not only John's uncle but also Mary's father. However, it concerns me that:

• ...no evidence has been cited that Roger had a daughter named Mary

• ...Mary's date of birth is reported to be circa 1595, which is more than a decade before the births of Roger's sons (which isn't impossible, but quite unlikely). If Mary is Roger's daughter, then Roger's date of birth (assuming that he wed after age 17, and that Mary was born in wedlock) before circa 1578; this makes Roger slightly younger than John's mother Anne, who was born in 1575. I had gotten the impression that Roger was younger than his brother Lawrence, who was born in 1600 or 1601.

• ...seeing that Roger's brother Lawrence was born in 1600 or 1601, and that Mary was born circa 1595, it's possible that Mary could be Roger's (and Lawrence's) sister instead of daughter...although no evidence for that has been cited either.

7/3/2017 at 12:08 AM

Yes, the chronology was crazed on this family in the Brower source I had previously used, no doubt because of the undated Visitation. It would be good to find another source besides the will abstract.

7/3/2017 at 3:58 PM

Hi Erica & John

I am meant to be taking a break but couldn't resist doing a little bit of research on this Drake family last night.

I agree Mary Butler is most likely the daughter of John Drake of Cheapside (in London) & Margery Allen.

However, I have not found Mary's baptism record and her exact relationship to John Drake is not stated in his will.

Here is an abstract of John Drakes will. I haven't checked the original PCC copy yet.

I, John Drake, citizen and clothworker of London, do wish to be buried in the Parish Church of St. Peter in Westcheapeals, Cheapside, London.

I bequeath to Margaret Drake, wife of my brother Roger Drake, citizen and clothmaker of London, one standing salt of silver;

to John Brewer, the son of John Brewer, citizen and grocer of London and of Mary his wife, the sum of 40 £;

to Marie, daughter of John Brewer and Mary his wife, the like sum;

to Margaret, daughter of the same John and Mary the sum of 3/6/8;

to Catherine my maid servant;

the residue after payments of debts to be divided into 4 equal parts and one part given to my son John Drake; another to daughter Anne Drake; another to daughter Sarah Drake and another to son Richard Drake.

I make my brother Roger Drake my sole and only executor. July 2nd, 1623.

Here is the marriage record for John Drake & Margery Allen at St. Vedast, Foster Lane, London

John Drake of the p'ishe of St Peters in Westchepe and Margery Allen of this p'ishe were married the xxixth day of May 1596.

Baptism records found for other children all at St. Vedast, Foster Lane, London

Richard bap. 13 May 1599
Anne bap. 14 Sep. 1600
John bap. 17 Jan. 1601/2
Richard bap. 18 Dec. 1603
Christian bap. 14 Apr. 1605
Sarah bap. 14 Jun. 1607
Martha bap. 8 Oct. 1609
Lawrence bap. 20 Feb. 1611/2

As you can see there is a gap between the marriage date and first baptism record found where Mary could easily slot into as their eldest daughter.

Say she was born 1597 it would make her 18 at the time of her marriage.

The chronology does work.

I think you are on the right track Erica.

7/3/2017 at 6:56 PM

Take more breaks, Charlene, it makes for brilliance. :) thank you!

John has records for this Alleyn family, I believe, so he can look from that stand point.

You're both validating my hesitance in placing Mary Brower as a daughter of Roger Drake, I believe he was the 4th son. But now we have two "uncles" of Brower children remembering them, so she's in this family.

7/3/2017 at 7:53 PM

Erica, did you mean to say Mary Brower as a daughter of John Drake not Roger Drake? Roger Drake is clearly her uncle as mentioned in John Brewer's will.

Mary is definitely a Drake and most likely the daughter of John Drake brother of Roger Drake.

Here is her marriage record at St. Vedast, Foster Lane, London

John Brewer and Mary Drake were marryed the xiith daie of February 1615

Baptism records for their children all at St. Vedast, Foster Lane, London

Anne Brewer daughter of John Brewer was baptized the viith daie of December 1616
John Brewer sonne of John Brewer was baptized the xith daie of Aprill 1619.
Mary Brewer daughter of John Brewer was baptized the xvth daie of February 1620
William Brewer sonne of John Brewer was baptized the Third daie of March 1621
Margarett Brewer ye daughter of John Brewer was baptised March 30th, 1623

7/3/2017 at 9:22 PM

Correct, John Drake, brother of Roger. (I wasn't looking at the tree when I wrote).

7/7/2017 at 4:35 PM

Erica Howton I had some time yesterday to do a bit more research on John Drake and his brother Roger Drake of London.

I searched the Clothworkers' Company records.

John Drake and Roger Drake were both members of the Clothworkers' Company, one the Livery Companies in the City of London.

John Drake became a freeman of the Clothworkers' Company in 1591 by Servitude, having served probably about 7 years as an apprentice to a senior member of the company.

Roger Drake became a freeman of the Clothworkers' Company in 1601 by Servitude.

I checked the original PCC copy of John Drake's will. Unfortunately, the relationship to Mary Drake is not stated.

I have also read the original PCC copy Roger Drake's will.

Will of Roger Drake of the Citty of London Esq. proved 8 Mar 1651/2

Among others, the following family members are mentioned:
my deare and loving wife Margarett
my loveing sonnes Roger Drake and Richard Drake
my two sonnes John and William Drake
Margarett Drake the daughter of my sonn Roger Drake
Hester an other of the daughters of my said sonne Roger Drake
Sarah Drake an other of the daughters of my sonne Roger
John Drake and Roger Drake sonnes of my sonne John Drake
Roger Drake sonne of my cosen [nephew] John Drake
>>> Mary Drake sister of the said John
my cosen [nephew] Lawrence Drake
my cosen [nephew] Richard Drake

In this time period, cosen or cousin was a general term used to refer to any relative outside the immediate family circle. Usually, it referred to a niece or nephew.

The John, Lawrence and Richard who Roger Drake mentions as his cousins were actually his nephews and sons of his elder brother John Drake. The mention of Mary Drake sister to John confirms Roger Drake also had a niece named Mary.

Roger Drake is the same person mentioned in the will of John Brewer as his "loving uncle Mr. Roger Drake, citizen and clothworker of London." Roger Drake was actually his wife's uncle and John Brewer's uncle by marriage.

My suggestion is to connect Mary Butler as the daughter of John Drake of Cheapside (in London)

7/7/2017 at 4:39 PM

Turning to Anne Brewer.

The identification of John Brewer's mother being Anne Drake seems to only be found in other web trees.

I haven't found any primary documentation for her being Anne or a Drake and I haven't found any primary documentation for her being the daughter of Richard Drake and Christian Fauscett.

Only 3 baptisms have been found for the children of Richard & Christain.

Isote Drake
Bap.18 Jun 1575
Cheddon Fitzpaine, Somerset, England

Roger Drake
Bap. 24 Mar 1578

Elizabeth Drake
Bap. 31 Jul 1580

The mention of "my loving uncle Mr. Roger Drake, citizen and clothworker of London." in John Brewer's will has confused many researchers. As mentioned above, Roger Drake was actually his wife's uncle and John Brewer's uncle by marriage.

My suggestion is to change Anne Drake to unknown and disconnect her from Richard Drake and Christian Fauscett until we can confirm her identity.

7/7/2017 at 5:52 PM

Thank you, Charlene Newport

Geni says: Mary (Drake) Butler is my great aunt's 10th great grandmother.

(that's a great aunt by marriage, and I never met her, she died at age 40). This one feels a bit more personal than most tree work!

I thought I had Anne Drake figured out! Dang. I agree the evidence is too skimpy.

7/7/2017 at 6:56 PM

For tracing Brewers down tree, this site is quoting good resources.

https://isaacbrewer-familyhistory.blogspot.com/2015/09/isle-of-wigh...

9/3/2018 at 1:57 PM

So, Erica, has no one been able to figure out the lineage of Richard Drake, who came to the Isle of Wight VA in about 1658 as an apprentice sergemaker?

9/3/2018 at 4:52 PM

If you’re sure he’s from South Petherton, you could try the resources listed here

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/South_Petherton,_Somerset_Gene...

I would also think Findmypast and Ancestry uk have whatever records are extant and digitized.

4/3/2019 at 12:54 AM

Private User Has additional comments:

Copying from a geni mail with her permission:

——

I think I might have found these two Dr. Drakes, one was a medical doctor and one was a D.D. They were dissenters in London and are covered in the following. Interestingly, that would make them much more closely related to me, as I match several Drake families on Gedmatch.

Several petitions to the Parl. in Jul. and Aug. Lond. 1651. qu.

This is regarding the trial of another dissenter, Christopher Love, who was chaplain to the garrison at Windsor during the Civil War:

"A full narrative of the late dangerous designe against the state, &c. Lond. 1651. qu. This is said to be written by him, and by him sent to the Parl. Wherein he setteth down his several meetings and several actings with Major Alford, &c. Mr. Tho. Case, Mr. Tho. Cawton, Dr. Drake, Mr. Rich. Drake, Maj. Rob. Huntingdon, Mr. Will. Jen∣kyns, &c."
His Speech and Prayer on the Scaffold on Tower-hill, 22. Aug. 1651. Lond. 1651. qu. On which Sp. and Pr. were animadversions made and published by Anonymus, and on his decollation a Poem by Dr. Rob. Wild Rector of Ai∣noe in Northamptonshire intit. The tragedy of Christop. Love at Tower-hill. Lond. 1660 in one sh. in qu.

Also, I have alot of Drake matches and in the same tract, mentions a M.D. named Drake:

"At the same time, and upon the same Scaffold, was be∣headed Mr. Jo. Gibbons engaged in the same plot; but as for others engaged therein and to be brought to their tryal, viz. Col. Joseph Vaughan sometimes a Leather-seller in London, Lieut. Col. ..... Jackson, Capt. Hugh Massey (brother to Maj. Gen. Edw. Massey) Dr. Drake, Mr. Th. Case, Mr. Arthur Jackson, Mr. W. Jenkyns Mini∣ster of Ch. Church in London, Mr. Th. Watson, Mr. Ralph Robinson, Mr. Rich. Heyrick, &c. were upon the motion of a certain noble person pardoned for Life and Estate, and freed both from Sequestration and Imprisonment." * Interesting, wonder who the noble person was?

They are all tied together here:

"These matters being discovered, our Author Love, Mr. Tho. Case, Mr. Will. Jenkyns, and other London Mi∣nisters, as also one Dr. Roger Drake, (a Physician as it seems) were by authority of the Council of State taken in∣to custody about the 7. of May 1651, as being the chief Actors in the said treason, as they then called it. Soon after, it was resolved by the great Masters at Westminster, that Mr. Love the Minister, then Prisoner in the Tower, should be brought to his trial before the High Court of Ju∣stice on the 20. of June 1651, not for any matter of do∣ctrine, as it was then given out, but for high treason as they said, and conspiracy against the common-wealth of England. "

Look at who Christopher Love's lawyer is! "On the 25. and 27. days of the said month of June, he appear∣ed again, and on the last of those two days he brought his counsel with him viz. Mr. Matthew Hale, Mr. John Archer, and Mr. Tho. Walter, but the two last, hav∣ing not taken the Engagement, were not suffer'd to plead for him." The greatest lawyer in England at the time! These guys were super connected. All get off except Love because he was writing his dissent and speaking very openly over and over about the government.

Hope this helps with identifying the Drakes! They may have been from Berkshire.

Showing all 28 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion