Alice de Courcy - Date of birth of Alice de Courcy a little late?

Started by Terry Jackson (Switzer) on Wednesday, December 9, 2015
Showing all 6 posts
12/9/2015 at 4:18 AM

Through looking at inheritance and marriage I have merged duplicate profiles for Alice's husband Warin fitzGerold. He was granted Kingston Lisle House in Oxfordshire in the mid 12th Century and it passed to his brother, Henry, in 1157 so he must have married Alice before this date and yet her birth is stated as after this date. (1166).

It is possible that either Warin's profile has been confused with his son Warin
OR we may be missing a generation.

Opinions sought. (copying this discussion onto both Warin's and Alice's profiles)

12/9/2015 at 9:09 PM

Hi Terri

The info I have is that Sir Warin (Michel) Fitzgerald was born about 1167 in Stogursey, Somerset, d 1235. Father Gerald de Bures, died after 1166; Wife, Alice de Courcy b 1168, d 1225. Alice's surname sometimes listed as Curci. They had 9 children according to the site www.devon-mitchells.co.uk. It appears theirson Warin was born in 1220, but I don't really have a record for that. If Sir Warin's father died after 1166, (i.e. mid 12th century, then possibly this is how Kingston Lisle House became Sir Warin's, as an inheritance. Does this help? Meg Miller

12/9/2015 at 9:16 PM

Also, Terri, from another website I obtained Alice de Courcy, b 1166, Stogursey Somersetshire. Married (1) 1180 to Henry de Cornhill, and (2) 1193 to Warin Fitzgerald. Parents William (III) de Courcy of Stogursey b 1118, d 1171 and Gundred de Warenne b 1144, d 1224. One child from each of Alice's marriages, and no sign of a son, Warin. So I can see your problem, but have no answer. Meg

12/10/2015 at 9:25 AM

Thanks Meg, I think I have straightened this area up (more or less) I decided there must have been a missing generation and have inserted it. There is, if you read the profile overview, disagreement over the number of children.

12/12/2015 at 12:27 AM

Terry

Your efforts have gone a bit awry as Alice (who by the way is my 18th ggmother) now has two sets of parents. My initial reaction on the basis of b. and m. dates is that the correct parents are William & Matilda rather than William II and Gundren but I haven't found anything yet to support this.

12/12/2015 at 4:09 AM

Thanks for pointing this out WIll, Looking at Medlands William III married Gundred so I have now made changes in favour of this as Medlands is generally a trusted source. You are welcome to take over curatorship if you wish.

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion